led reef lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I might be getting another tank tomorrow. If so my 35 will be my gfs frog tank. They claim it to be a 44 gallon. Haven't seen it yet. Anyways point me in the right direction for VERY AFFORDABLE reef capable lighting.

Or am I just better off with my trusted t5hos? Just looking to save money (bulbs, electricity )

I got my taotronics 212w today. Late today so i won't be doing anything with them today, but dang they are bright. The pictures I've found on them don't do them any justice. SUPER BRIGHT!!

OK so I drove 60 miles today and got a 38 gallon tank for $25. This is gonna be my new reef tank I'm gonna use my 35 gallon for my gfs fresh water African clawed frog. I'd say I got a good deal it's a pretty nice one.the whole top is open unlike my 35 hex front so more light! Its 36" long 12.5" deep and 20" tall. So I need some reef lighting to penetrate about 18". Any ideas?

paul87 said:
OK so I drove 60 miles today and got a 38 gallon tank for $25. This is gonna be my new reef tank I'm gonna use my 35 gallon for my gfs fresh water African clawed frog. I'd say I got a good deal it's a pretty nice one.the whole top is open unlike my 35 hex front so more light! Its 36" long 12.5" deep and 20" tall. So I need some reef lighting to penetrate about 18". Any ideas?

Taotonic LEDs... Lol... I just up new pics of my reef... See if u like them.

They sure changed the design on these. Looks like it uses the same 3 watt parts, but they have seated them in very nice reflectors.

Last edited:
Gregcoyote said:
They sure changed the design on these. Looks like it uses the same 3 watt parts, but they have seated them in very nice reflectors.

Was thinking the same thing... Totally different then mine.

Taotronics is just an importer I think, so these seem to be made by somebody different. I recognize the LEDs themselves, it is what they always use in Chinese fixtures, but the fixture itself is different. The power connections are old school European DIN connectors. Pretty cool at 212 watts. Would like to put my PAR meter on it.

What would be a good led reef light for a 36 long 12.5 wide 20 deep Aquarium? I just don't see that kind if light doing to hot on it and 2 of them are out of the question. I was thinking 200 Watts Max...?

There is a similar light with lower wattage, 141watts. The seller I got the light from really shipps fast. I paid for it on Wednedday, got it Saturday.
Check this
That one only has 1:1 blues/whites. The 212's have either 2:1 blues/whites or 2:1 whites/blues.
I am going to get them installed today, I will update with pics as soon as I can..

Back
Top Bottom