Less smelly alternative(s) to Amquel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cpaparelli

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So after using Amquel in my tanks a handful of times, I'm getting really tired of the stink it gives off (see also, my whole house stinks on the days following water change day) Is it just the ingredients that break down the chlorine, etc, or are there less stinky alternatives?

prime smells prob the same or worse but works better since you need less. it shouldnt make the house smell. once its in the water you shouldnt be able to smell it anymore...

I use prime in my goldfish tank and while it does smell you cant smell it once it`s in the tank.

I also use Prime as a dechlorinator. I used to use Amquel but switched to Prime when it became harder to find Amquel. Prime does smell, and it seems like the smell gets more intense the older it is (the length of time it takes to finish the bottle) but the smell is from the bottle only. I have never smelled it in the tank water or throughout the house. It does take me awhile to finish a bottle, because you don't need as much Prime as you did of the Amquel.

What dosage are you using? I use 2-3 drops per gallon. I make my new water up in a 5 gallon bucket and use a ml dropper to add 10-15 drops. If I count right I only try to add 12 drops.

Every chemical dechlorinator I've seen uses sodium thiosulfate (the source of the smell). The only alternative I know is to use activated carbon, but that seems worse in so many ways...

Back
Top Bottom