lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crimson2112

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an 18 gallon tank with a single t-8 15 watt bulb. I'm wanting to add some amazon frogbit(topwater) to the tank, and i already know my lighting isn't quite up to snuff for the swords i already have in the tank. Please give input on the cheapest route i can go but still have great looking plants. Thx in advance all!!:D

best bet would be to take out the t8 bulb and put in a couple cfl bulbs. retro fitting the hood isnt too hard at all.

I second that. CFL or even a T5 kit will do well. I know with T5s there are a few more color options out there and you can mix and match to get good growth on your plants.

wattage

how much on the total wattage? Do i need fans? My tank is 23long 11 1/2 in. wide and 16 1/2 tall. I already have swords around the perimeter of tank (except front of course) and am wanting to add amazon frogbit.

APPRECIATE THE HELP ALL!!

The frogbit will block a lot of light to the swords. Also, if you have amazon swords, you're best off getting rid of them now. I have two that are 24" tall and sticking out of the hood on my 29g. They're not even two years old yet.

I'll second the CFLs. It's pretty easy to make a hood that would hold a couple of bulbs or retrofit your current fixture. I have two 18W daylight spectrum CFLs on both my 29g and my 20L. Plants grow rather slowly in my 29g, but unbelievably fast in my 20L. I blame the mineral-etched glass on the 29's hood.

Back
Top Bottom