lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eric faatz

Aquarium Advice Freak
hello,i bought a sundial 48" t-5 ho 4x54watts 10k/460w with intergrated dusk to dawn timers and built in fans and was wondreing how long do i leave the blue actinic on for and the 10k light on.i have a leather coral,brain coral i'am starting to get some green algae in my tank on the glass and have to clean it off with a razor blade.:olympic:

you should try to mimic the natural day, by keeping the daylights on at least 8 hours. what i would do is run the blues for 12 hours, and the daylights for 8, starting them 2 hours after the blues, and ending 2 hours before they go off.
kind of a dawn/dusk simulation.
as far as the algae, like you said, a good razor blade will take care of that fairly easily.
algae needs nutrients to thrive. if you are seeing more than usual, you might need to do a few water changes with good source water (R.O.D.I.).

btw, i also would look into changing out the stock lamps in that fixture for high end ones. you will be surprised how much of a difference they will make.
i suggest ATI aquablue special and ATI blue plus.

I agree. Always try to simulate what nature provides. Doug has you covered on the other things.

it sounds a little loud at first,then it seems to quiet down some.i really don't hear it. but in general i like it alot well worth the $325.00.I will up grade the soon.thank you.

Back
Top Bottom