Lighting??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jack22

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55 gal tank. I'm using two 24" fluorescent fixtures each with one 18" 15 watt bulb. The bulbs are 50/50 10000k white/ lunar blue. Will that work for corals and anemones? I know T5/metal halide/LED is recommended for salt water. Is it just the higher wattage that's needed? The temp of the light is the same. Can anyone recommend a good affordable light? Thanks for the help.

I actually borrowed a T5 from my uncle and tore it off that day because it is hurting my eyes so much. I know that they are a great light and all but I couldn't handle it. I had a different one thoe, I will get back to you on that one.

I have a cycled 55 and was wondering on lights myself. Lets say budget around 100 bucks? Would that get me what I need for corals?

gatorjon said:
I have a cycled 55 and was wondering on lights myself. Lets say budget around 100 bucks? Would that get me what I need for corals?

If you could find a deal on craigslist or something but that's really pushing it for anything other then the lowest of low light corals

What kind of corals are you looking to keep? Mainly do you wanna keep sps cause they demand high light?

Honestly not sure this is my 1st SW but have a 75 FW for about 5 years. Want something easy to start and I'll advance as I learn.

I've read that some people have PAR 38, but I'm not all that familiar with them, but check them out! :)

For $100, you can probably find a 4-bulb t5 on craigslist. It would be enough to keep most corals.

It depens how deep your tank is.. The deeper it is the more light you beed punched to the bottom. First decide what type of corals youd pike to keep then look at the lighting. 4 t5 will be enough for your size tank. You could add a couple of led just to giv it tht nice shimmer effect.

I have 350 in lights alone. That was for a new t5 an a 250 watt halide from Craig's list. Craig's list all the way.

Ibrahim said:
Aquatrader.com They've got 4 bulb T-5s for $100

Checked out Aquatrader. They have some good deals. How is there service? Looking at the Reef Bright 48" LED. Anyone have any experience with Reef bright? Are they quality?

My fish guy got a shipment in and some stopped working after a month. There's aquabid as well.

Jack22 said:
Checked out Aquatrader. They have some good deals. How is there service? Looking at the Reef Bright 48" LED. Anyone have any experience with Reef bright? Are they quality?

Dont get those reef brights. Its a rip off. Only good for fish only tanks. Stick with t5s unless the leds are 120 watts or more.

How do I know if a light will be sufficient for corals and anemones? Is it the temperature of the light, the wattage, the number of bulbs? What makes one light good for coral growth and another not good?

How do I know if a light will be sufficient for corals and anemones? Is it the temperature of the light, the wattage, the number of bulbs? What makes one light good for coral growth and another not good?

You want to take all those things into account when considering lighting options. It's all about the spectrum and intensity. In nature corals an nems are grown under the strong light of the sun so you want to mimic it as much as you can which is why many still use metal halides. as the depth of the ocean increases the light spectrum gets bluer which is why temperature is key also.

12k-20k is what you should aim for in a reef. You're ideal wattage should be 4-6w per gallon with t5s and 2-4w with LEDs. But PAR is the most important because that is how strong your lighting is. Only problem is PAR meters are real expensive. So measuring in watts is the next best thing.

Back
Top Bottom