Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giffmastaflex

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am turning my tank to a planted tank and I know people suggest 7000k over 10000k, why is this? And I was thinking of the ray 2 or marineland LED, does anyone have these? Would like to know your input as well

I am turning my tank to a planted tank and I know people suggest 7000k over 10000k, why is this? And I was thinking of the ray 2 or marineland LED, does anyone have these? Would like to know your input as well

The 7000K refers to the color temperature of the light .... around 6500K is the color temp of white light and a good range for photosynthesis so 7000K's fine for plants.

What size tank and what plants are you looking to go with? You'll get much more accurate advice with that info.

Tank Lighting

Hello giff...

If you want to stay inexpensive and low tech, then florescent bulbs will work well. I have 2 6500K, 32 watt, T8 bulbs over my tanks. 6500K is supposed to be closest to natural daylight at 5500K. GE makes an aquarium plant bulb you can get at the hardware store for a few dollars each. There are quite a few aquatic plants that will thrive in low to moderate light. LED lighting is quite a bit more expensive and I don't think it's needed for the less demanding plants. But, this is just my opinion.

B

Well I'm looking for energy efficient as well and t5 and t8 will draw too much and I have a 55 and soon a 40 gallon breeder and I'm looking at some hair grass, java fern, water Lilly, water onion, maybe some moss balls/ moss, I saw a great pic of another member on here and I would like to do something like it. (Pic below)

image-865933476.jpg

image-29990439.jpg

Back
Top Bottom