Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmoots

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
we just purchased a 55gal tank and are wanting to do saltwater fish and coral. what are your suggestions for light?

we are just starting out so we would like something basic that we can upgrade later as we get more coral.

we are just starting out so we would like something basic that we can upgrade later as we get more coral.

Aquarium lighting is one of the most important pieces of your set up. I don't think cheaping out on lighting when you're first starting out will actually do you any favors. If you get weak lighting then your environment won't be as vibrant or healthy as if you got decent lighting.

I'd probably go for this fixture as a starting point:

Aqua Medic Ocean Light T5 Light Fixture (36 Inch - 4 x 39 Watt)

It's a four bulb fixture but you can buy an eight bulb if you see your marine interests growing to corals, clams, etc.

The link I posted will put out much more PAR than that outdated Aquamedic fixture. You'll be able to keep clams on the sand bed, which you won't be able to do with 4 T5's. Plus, you'll never have to change lamps, which you will have to do every 9 to 12 months with the T5 unit.
No need to spend a ton of money on something when you can do the job BETTER for less.

The link I posted will put out much more PAR than that outdated Aquamedic fixture. You'll be able to keep clams on the sand bed, which you won't be able to do with 4 T5's. Plus, you'll never have to change lamps, which you will have to do every 9 to 12 months with the T5 unit.
No need to spend a ton of money on something when you can do the job BETTER for less.

How do you know? Have you measured the TaoTronic fixture and compared it to T5 fixtures? Interested if you have any data to support that. The LED revolution in lighting is very interesting to me. It has been a long time coming for sure.

The TaoTronic is a clever looking fixture, the OP probably would be well served by using those.

I favor more traditional fixtures, for my 90g I have a nice MH/T5 fixture and for my cube I use a HQI hood. Once you start comparing MH fixtures to LED ones you have to have very deep pockets to be able to compare apples to apples.

Yes, I have checked the Tao's against 8 lamp T5 HO units and metal halides.
PAR numbers are about the same from all three (250 watt halide pendants).

I have a question on the led tao's how often do u have to replace them? I plan on getting the one u posted earlier in this thred

I have a question on the led tao's how often do u have to replace them? I plan on getting the one u posted earlier in this thred

The LED systems aren't like normal bulbs, they don't fade or color shift over time in the same way that MH, T5/8, PC etc. You replace them when they are completely dead.

Most have a 55000 hour guarantee which means you are out of warranty after seven years.

Back
Top Bottom