lighting advice needed...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know the brand, but assuming it's a good brand that seems like a good deal. 265 w is a LOT of wattage for a 48" tank, and most of the strip lights I've seen with a lot less wattage cost way more than that new.

That's a coralife fixture. Not a bad price at all. Be careful w/ shipping though. You'll also likely have to replace the bulbs if you are using it for a planted tank or reef.

HTH

i totally spaced on the auction after the trip home from work. d'oh! thanx for the input, i contacted the seller to see if they'll relist... we'll see. hope so!

Looks like it's the same as this one:
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=24065;category_id=2543

You may want to try offering the seller a fixed price and see if they'll take it. Selling outright will save them re-listing fees, as well as the Final Value Fee (FVF) that they'll have to pay EBay when they do sell it.
However - it looks like that seller doesn't have much feedback, so it'd probably be better to buy through the auction if they re-list.

Just a thought. Good luck! :)

i got in touch with this guy and appearantly he sawed off the back corners of the fixture to fit perfectly on a "hex-back" tank.... says it doesn't effect the performance of the light at all. still worth 100? or should i just drop the bucks on a new set?

If it were me, I would buy a new one. I dont like the idea of pieces of it being sawed off. Just remember to check the kind of bulbs the fixture you buy comes with as you may have to replace them and that will up your costs.

Tough call to make. Be sure to add in the cost of buying new bulbs(because of age), and compare that to buying brand new. Buying 4 bulbs at once on eBay isn't too bad actually... A new fixture would come with bulbs and a warranty. Might be worth it to go new unless he was willing to part with it for around $60-$70. JMO

well, thanx everyone. i have decided to wait and get something new. new bulbs and a warranty are awfully nice things, i guess i'd be a fool to pass them up.

Good idea on waiting. I'm surprised that the seller didn't mention the sawing in his EBay listing. Hhmmm - he won't get much positive feedback from whoever ends up buying that light.

;)

noncentric said:
Good idea on waiting. I'm surprised that the seller didn't mention the sawing in his EBay listing. Hhmmm - he won't get much positive feedback from whoever ends up buying that light.

;)

I got all 3 of my 260W 48" fixtures for about 100.00 each new with new bulbs. Got it from an ebay store. One ended up with a minor problem after 9 months use, but the others are working flawlessly, other than the fans being a little noisy on occasion.

Back
Top Bottom