Lighting and Suggestions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rezis

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I have a 24 gallon fresh water tank.

I have 2 types java moss, java fern, and annubias.

I'm currently using a single Coralife 50/50 6000k actinic 03, 20 watt, 24" -T12 flourescent bulb on a 30" fixture.

I recently found out that this lighting is for reef tanks.

I would like a bulb suited for plant growing. I'm also making a DIY co2 system.

Are there single bulbs out there that suit me? Or am I better off getting a new fixture such as the nova extreme t5ho? or are those overkill?

Welcome to AA!

With your plants, that's all the light you should need and CO2 would probably be a waste of time and effort. You've got a group of hardy low-light plants that do well in almost any tank.

If you want to grow plants that require stronger light, consider stepping up to a two-bulb T5HO fixture with bulbs in the 6500K spectrum. A fixture that uses two 24" T5HO bulbs would give you 2Wpg.

Just to be sure, so with this bulb I should be able to fill the tank up with the current plants I have to just grow all over?

And get the two 24" T5HO bulbs would give you 2Wpg for higher light plants.

If i get the two 24" T5HO bulbs just for my low light plants, will it make them grow even more? or kill them lol.

Thanks for responding btw ;)

The plants you have are rather slow growers. More powerful light will make them grow a bit faster, but you have to be patient. If you do upgrade your lighting to the T5HO, I'd suggest CO2. I've had a little success with DIY CO2, but it wasn't enough on my 29g or 20L to take care of the BBA.

Whats BBA?

Sorry to sound repetitive, but if i filled up my tank with just java ferns, java moss, and annubias, will my current bulb be able to keep all of them?

I noticed some leaves are turning yellow and brown, and some leaves turned black and died. I was guessing those are a nutrient problem so I started dosing the tank with seachem flourish. Am I diagnosing and treating properly?

BBA is black brush algae. It's generally the biggest nuisance in a planted aquarium.

How long do you keep the light on during the day? Aim for 8-12 hours a day.

Back
Top Bottom