Lighting comparison

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ohsnapzitzmeng

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i have a 29gal and was recconmended that at least a 15k light should be used for coral tanks... i just replaced my 10k t12 coral life bulb with a 18k t8 power-glo bulb... its next to a actinic blue bulb... i can see that the power-glo is a little bluer when i turned it on and the coral life was brighter and less blue, is the power-glo weaker? or is that blue supposed to be there... whats your recconmendation

Welcome to AA!

People grow corals under everything from 10K to 20K, so anywhere in there you should be good. Most people find what looks the best to them, i.e. what they like, and stick with that. There's been tons of studies for what's better, a higher or lower K rating, but in everything I've read, there's nothing concrete as to which is better.

That blue is supposed to be there. Higher K bulbs have more of a blue tint to them. Some people like more blue, some more white, some more yellow. Like I said, any bulbs in that range you'll be fine color wise.

thanks neilanh, i was worried i'd have to return my bulb... so my corals were ok with the 10k t12 corallife bulb?

Back
Top Bottom