Lighting comparison: T-5, PC, HO, NO, VHO...need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patwa

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 45 gal. Palaudarium (see picture below).....the dimensions are 36Lx24Hx12W.....i'll be upgrading to a 65gal after the boxing week sales :D

It's a heavily planted tank that has been running for about 2 years....I strictly use RO/DI water, my substrate is flourite enriched, and i've got a CO2 injector going..i'll make a DIY 4gal CO2 injector when i get the 65gal.

The plants are doing fine......nothing is dieing, but nothing is really 'flourishing' either.... the growth rate overall is a bit more than average, and the colours of the plants are basically normal, although my amazon sword's new growth is much lighter in colour than the older existing leaves (why is this?? is it lack of light?)

Anyways...before any of you make fun of my lighting, let me be the first to say that my lighting SUCKS big-time!......that's the best description I can come up with....it's basically 1 single 36" flourescent bulb (Hagen Life-Glo 36", 6700K), on a 12hr on/off period...the bulb itself is bright as ever, but I doubt it's the best choice for the plants and my fish.

SO what are my options??

I woudl like recommendations for a new lighting setup based on the 65gal (36Lx24Hx18W) tank i'll buy in a few months....

Should I go for T-5s? PCs?, HOs?, NOs?, VHOs?

here's a pic of my current 45gal tank:

IMG_0382.JPG

Zach.

I'd say go with power compacts. they're popular and easy to find and getting cheaper every day. they're a little cheaper than VHO for the same intensity.
skip normal fluorescents. and the T-5's are too new for me to comment on.

Back
Top Bottom