lighting equasion questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Gross

Aquarium Advice Regular
When I first started this 100gal rebuild it came with this huge dinosaur-4 florescent tube monstosity which has (twice) been cooking ballasts(probably due to shorts in the system).....
Sooooooo I've been taking my time researching options and looking closely at the possibility of rebuilding using High Output SHO Fluorescent ((CFL) w/incandescent (domes) fuxtures (offered by American Aquarium Products).
It has/had been my assumption that this would be a better system less prone to all of these malfunctions....yet adequet enough to sustain coral life....anenomie (in particular).
Well the guy I got the tank from....(same chap who neglected it to near-death)(who I have serious doubts as to HIS prowess in this field) sez that any such system WILL NOT sustain corals and/or anenomie(s)etc.
I was PLANNING to use three fixtures in total.(2 white -1 actnic).
In a 100 gallon....w/corals etc placed on top of a (dead) coral rockbed thereby raising the corals as close to the lights as safe.
Whatcha' think folks ???Should it work ???

Back
Top Bottom