lighting experts please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dakotajoe1

Aquarium Advice Regular
So basicly I'm wworking on making a new light for my 35g hex reef tank. I crammed 3 t8 bulbs into my existing hood and now I'm working on a cover for it. I know acrylic and glass filter out wave lenghts but what about saran wrap? Iv already tried it and it doesn't melt it but I wonder if its still filtering. Any help is MUCH appreciated. Thank you

So you want a splash guard? You don't need one...if you want a lid so fish don't jump out you can make a screen top.

i wouldn't use plastic wrap. What do you need to cover it? Are you getting a lot of splash back?

Well I built an acrylic lid with fans for ventilation and a whole for the light but yes I am having problems with splashback. Its already burned up 2 electronic boards inside the light. If the water level gets a little low the spraybar from the filter starts splashing. I don't wanna move the spraybar because it gives it great surface turbulance.

Maybe invest in an auto topoff system? That sounds like it might kill 2 birds with one stone.

Adding a hood just gives you more maintenance as they have to be cleaned regularly. If an auto topoff can keep you from getting splash back it would mean no hood and less maintenance topping off.

Well I'm real big on DIY not only cause I'm cheap. But I really like jus making things myself. Iv build one out of a bucket, light switch, and an airpump but the bucket keeps leaking out air and losing pressure. I need to find a better sealed container.

You can find plans for a DIY ATO controller online if you know how to work with relays. The parts aren't all that expensive. I'm not an electronic wiz, so I bought a kit from Bulk Reef Supply for mine.

From the sound of what you have, are you using an air pump to pressurize a vessel to force water into the tank? If so, you might look into buying an Aqualifter pump. They are about the size of a small air pump, but actually pump water at a low speed. They cost about $20 online.

That's what I use on mine for my ATO - an aqualifter.

I got my float switches from autotopoff.com.

Thanks for the input guys. I saw one of those at my lfs a while back and completely forgot about it. I'm going to order one right now. Would 2-3inch pc fans, one in and one out, be enough airflow to keep my lid on it? I custom made it pretty tight around the hardware so I could possibly have a octopus in there someday.

dakotajoe1 said:
So basicly I'm wworking on making a new light for my 35g hex reef tank. I crammed 3 t8 bulbs into my existing hood and now I'm working on a cover for it. I know acrylic and glass filter out wave lenghts but what about saran wrap? Iv already tried it and it doesn't melt it but I wonder if its still filtering. Any help is MUCH appreciated. Thank you

If you want a splash guard I'd go with thin acrylic. It doesn't actually block out enough light to ever worry about as long as you rinse it with RO every once in a while.

Back
Top Bottom