Lighting Failure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t3hRobG

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
First of all I would like to apologize if the question I am asking is posted in some obvious place I wasn't able to find. Unfortunately my LFS has left me in a bit of a bind and I haven't been able to find much help by searching.

The short version is, I finally lost the battle with my aquapod hood. With a dying fan controller causing a cascade of other issues resulting in a cracked lens (due to heat) and a corrosion problem (due to.. well, salt water) , I am down to only my actinic right now. I went into the LFS for advice about 5 days ago and decided that it was time for an upgrade. They said they were out of what i needed but would have one on the truck for me on Thursday. In the meantime, I borrowed the CF daylight from my freshwater tank every other day to try to minimize the damage a bit.

Here we are on Thursday and the gents didn't know who I was, didn't have my light, and weren't able to give me any kind of assurances.

So, I am going to have to order a new system directly it seems. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get a clear idea of what I am looking for. I "thought" I was in for a 24" t5 ho. Being that it is a 24gal aquapod though, its only 19 3/4" wide. Will I be able to make this fit? I hate to bother everyone with a simple hardware question but I am out of time and need to order this today before I have to leave for a few days. Making matters worse, I have a Theory of Computation final at 8am tomorrow so my time for trolling the internet tonight searching for a solid answer is limited.

I would love to hear some advice on what I should get and from whom. I would say I have medium-high light requirements. Not enough to need a MH, but an upgrade from the stock is probably well in order.

Thanks in advance!

Rob

This is essentially what I was looking for, but what concerns me is the sizes. I suspect 36", 48" and 72" are all going to be far too big for a 24 gallon tank.

Opps, I got that mixed up with this one:
Aquarium Lighting for Freshwater and Reef Systems: Nova Extreme Compact T-5 System
This fixture has lower wattage and does not have the parabolic reflectors.
Here is the one I meant to link:
Current USA Nova Extreme T5HO X2 - 10K / 460nm Actinic - Saltwater Light Fixtures
but that is not going to give you high lighting. Let me look around a little more.

How about this one:
24 inch 4x24W Sunlight Supply Tek Light High Output Fluorescent Lighting Fixture (24in Units )

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom