Lighting fixtures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trout11B

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok. In my continuing search for a possible new lighting fixture for my standard 55. I came across multiple references for fishneedit.com. Well I went to their site and they seem to have decent prices and such on their t5 ho lighting. I'm sure people have purchased these lights and was wondering if people could give personal reviews and pictures of these on their tanks. I'm looking at the 48" 4 bulb unit right now or the 2 bulb. Thanks

I think rookie just ordered some for his tank. I'm sure he'll find this and post some pictures.

Just my two cents but, are you sure you want to go HO? I have a 55 chiclid tank and I use an HE, plenty of light and a whole lot cheaper. If you have your heart set go for it and forget I said anything...lol

I have 3 fishneedit fixtures. Here are some pictures:

36" 2x39w on my 40 breeder-

To show the packaging:

img_1265981_0_9495155a860a57623c6fad569d5ffde6.jpg

img_1265981_1_9fbe8660301f481c95ee26a6f51edd7a.jpg

img_1265981_2_86e9209fc9a39acda327aec836cd2556.jpg

2x 24" 4x24w on my 125g (hanging)-

img_1265981_3_bb869ca4df34761dea0eb28bcb988113.jpg

img_1265981_4_b0489d138817846af3aeea3350139aa8.jpg

img_1265981_5_6f79986254a96d789c9d01fe49e4521e.jpg

The fixtures are nice IMO. They're not top quality, but they're not junk. I've read dozens of reviews that say these fixtures are definitely much higher quality than other similarly priced units. They don't have fans, which would be nice, but mine never get ridiculously hot either. My 4 bulb fixtures do get considerably warmer than my 2 bulb fixture, but it's not ridiculous by any means. They have semi individual reflectors. This is important. From what I've read, a lot of the cheaper fixtures have a single reflector. These aren't individual, but they are molded around the bulbs in once piece, which reflects each bulb individually (make sense? think about those little freezer packs that are designed to fit around pop cans). They have nice long cords and the cord coming out of the ballast is long enough to mount the ballast to the wall or your stand and still have room to work with a power strip or timer.

I actually called the guy who runs the shop and asked him about exchanging my 2x39w for a 4x39w before it had shipped. He said they were out of stock right now, but I had a year to exchange it, all I had to do was pay shipping to return mine and cover the difference in cost if I wanted to exchange it when they were in stock. Now that I've thought about it, I'm not going to, but it's good to know they'll do that. I might, however, send back my two 24" fixtures and get two 4x39w fixtures for my 125... I guess we'll have to see.

Anyhoo, IMHO, they're a really good deal. They ship fast (i ordered my last order on a sunday, had them on a thursday), are cheap, and have pretty good customer service. Let me know if you want any other pictures and I'll try to take some for ya.

kirbster23 said:
Just my two cents but, are you sure you want to go HO? I have a 55 chiclid tank and I use an HE, plenty of light and a whole lot cheaper. If you have your heart set go for it and forget I said anything...lol

I'm intending on doing a planted tank eventually so I'm planning ahead and really like the look these fixtures have an the price seems reasonable. But thanks for the heads up I may look at that option on my other tanks.

Rookie. Thanks a lot for the pictures. I like the look and stance of the light fixtures. Now I have to decide whether or not I go with the 48" 4 bulb fixture which is out of stock, or the 2 bulb fixture that's in stock. Or two 24" fixtures.

I would do a 48" fixture. I really think a 2x54w would be sufficient for a 55g tank. That would put you at 2wpg of T5HO which would pretty much allow about any plants you want.

Rookie, I didn't see it anywhere but I think there's only one cord for these fixtures, so there's no way to control a two bulb set up is there? Or am I mistaken here, so if I wanted a day/night setup is that possible?

One ballast for the 2 bulb fixtures, 2 ballasts for the 4 bulb fixtures. You can see a picture of my ballast in the photo below. There's no moonlights on their fixtures, so there's not a day/night option.

img_1266197_0_4562823533413f4e859690ba02a8fc3e.jpg

img_1266197_1_60c85fe9c503353061ed07f02f8f153e.jpg

It has an on/off switch, but mine stays 'on' and the timer controlls it.

Ok, didn't think there was moonlights. I misspoke what I meant was something where I can turn a certain set of bulbs on before the main bright displays turn on?

Not really. I mean, if you get a 4 bulb fixture, you can turn on 2 lights, then the other 2 lights. But that's not really necessary. My lights come on, stay on for about 7.5 hours, then go off. I don't do any fancy transition. I think that's mainly something that reef people do.

Same here. All my lights are on timers. On and off all at the same time. I don't see. Any reason to do it any other way.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

Ok, I thought I read that transitions were a good idea but your right that's probably just sw. So much forum reading it's all starting to blend together. Thanks again!
Maybe I was thinking of co2, you turn that on before lights and off before lights or something right?

Yes, you want your co2 levels to be up to 30ppm before your lights come on. Usually a half hour to a hour before your lights come on you want your co2 to kick on.

Sent from my Droid using Aquarium Advice app

What are the pink bulbs that they offer with these fixtures? I thought they might be for plants, but they offer a 6700K white bulb.

I'm pretty sure that the pink bulbs are roseate bulbs. I've not confirmed that, as I keep forgetting to email them. I have 10,000k bulbs on my 40. I have 6500k bulbs on my 125. I kind of wish I had chosen the 10,000k bulbs for my 125. They look better IMO, and the plants seem to be doing better (I don't know for certain that it's the lighting).

what are the prices on the 2 bulb 48''? wondering, i have a sigle 54w over a 55g and it is pretty bright(for less than $100) and could get another if i want plants..the individual reflectors are better i read. i also like super daylight 10,000k better

ahhh, they come wih lights then its a good deal it seems... wouldnt mind getting one for a cheaper unit , for planting a 55g or 75g if i get one... thanks for the site! onto the favorites list you go, lol

i checked aquariums r us, and they have lots of wide tanks 24''+ could a 4 lamp centred properly light this well enough? probobly could...cuz 2 lamps can spread to 18'' ...what about the 2lamp setup?

Back
Top Bottom