Lighting for 36 gallon planted Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cass95

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello, I am deciding to buy a aqueon 36 gallon bowfront from petsmart. I want it to be a planted tank. But how many watts should it be? I will be dosing with excel or api co2 booster. My plants will be low tech, maybe med tech if I can with excel. Substrate will be eco complete. The picture shows the out put of the fluorescent light blub that comes with the tank. Do I need a blub similar to that? Any products? And advice?

Sent from my 710C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1423939808635.jpg
    1423939808635.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 169
The light that comes with is most likely junk, I wouldn't even get the "ket" jut get the tank and but the other stuff separate.

You will need a good LED light or a dual T5 that petsmartsells most likely, I don't think they sell T5 HO's.

Do you know any lighting products I could buy for planted tank?

Good lighting for the 36 gallon would be a Finnex planted plus, possibly two or just an added stingray. For plants you also will need macro and micro ferts. to pervent algae growth and that is for heavily planted. for medium or lightly planted Just the planted +.

Thank you! If I do medium plants do I need to add CO2 or will liquid CO2 be fine?

I use a generic hospital cleaner that is liquid carbon and micro and macro dry ferts mixed in. 1 day apart for the micro and macro ferts. Chemical compound issues if done the same day, but it works well. I have a plant+ and a fugeray on a 40 breeder. Water changes are key with plants

To make sure, two finnex planted plus is good enough for 36 gallon or only one? If I want a medium or lightly planted.

Back
Top Bottom