Lighting for 75 gal reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

armyman16

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anyone think this fixture on Craigslist would be good enough for a 75 gallon planned reef tank? From the lowest spot in the sand bed to the top of the water is 19 inches...there are no corals in the tank now because I want to get a new light before I add anything...I want to be able to grow anything, SPS, lps, softies..all of it!

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/for/3057709850.html

A 4 bulb T5 fixture won't let you grow everything. I'd look for at least an 8 bulb fixture, 250w MH, or some quality LED lights.

AquaRick said:
A 4 bulb T5 fixture won't let you grow everything. I'd look for at least an 8 bulb fixture, 250w MH, or some quality LED lights.

How many watts am I looking for?

T5s depend on length of the bulb. 4' bulbs are 54 watts i think. So 432 watts for T5s?

AquaRick said:
T5s depend on length of the bulb. 4' bulbs are 54 watts i think. So 432 watts for T5s?

What do you have on your tanks?

I have an 8 bulb T5 on my 125g. Getting a Radion LED fixture for my 60g cube tomorrow.

AquaRick said:
I have an 8 bulb T5 on my 125g. Getting a Radion LED fixture for my 60g cube tomorrow.

How many watts are those?

He also says the bulbs he has are 6700K and comes with the 8 already in it and 8 replacement bulbs

Sorry for the late reply. Take a look and make sure the fixture has individual reflectors. You won't be using too many of those bulbs in your fixture for SW. 1 or 2 tops. The others will be actinics and other bulbs with a higher kelvin rating.

It's alright, an I didn't get that one anyways I found a guy that builds LED lighting fixtures for a living and he made a few for an aquarium so I got one of those

Back
Top Bottom