Lighting for 75g FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

superswamper

Aquarium Advice Regular
We currently have a Coralife 130W 50/50 with compact fluorescents, which is on the fritz.

esu53006.jpg

Disregarding the cost, if I upgraded to the 48" Aqualight 4-65W and fan, would there be too much light?

esu53106.jpg

I see that the next step up in their lights has the lunar lights (LED). Would I reap any benefit from that feature?

Is it possible to have too much light? I do not intend to have corals.

Thanks for the help.

No problem having that much light for fo or fowlr it will just enhance the natural colors of the fish plus if you do decide to have low to medium light corals in the future you will be set :D

Those lights will not be too much light. As Micah said it will enhance the colors of your tank.

tecwzrd Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:26 am Post Subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No problem having that much light for fo or fowlr it will just enhance the natural colors of the fish plus if you do decide to have low to medium light corals in the future you will be set

Now that we've upgraded, I'm beginning to have some interest in corals. What types of corals would be suitable for a beginner with the 4-65w fixture? I see terms like low or medium light, but I don't have a good handle on what is considered low or medium light.

We're currently in a 75g with the following inhabitants:

1 flame angel
2 clowns
1 damsel
2 cardinals

Thanks for any advice.

www.fantasyreef.com has a great database on medium light corals. I'd avoid low light corals since the majority are difficult to care for due to them needing targeted feedings since they don't rely on light as much as other corals.

Also when looking through the corals make sure you check the "Care Level: Low-maintenance/good for beginners" for starting out since there are some corals like the Brain Coral or Yellow Cup Coral that shouldn't be attempted until you have more experience and your tank is stable/mature.

Hopefully your flame will behave. Some do some don't I hear.

I had those exact same lights on my old 72g amd had a decent amount of coral - easily.

Zoanthids, mushrooms of various color, xenia, frogspawn, hammer, leathers (kenya tree & finger). Even had a deresa clam that was very happy on the sand bottom for years.

See the shots in my gallery. All but 2 of'm are from my 72g with those lights.

Need to update my gallery badly. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom