Lighting for 75g help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DiscusLvr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys,
So I'm setting up a 75g tank and I'm torn between two lights.

Aqueon has a 24" fluorescent hood. I could use two of those and put in t5 lights. But marineland offers a 48" led light with 3 interchangeable light strips.

The aqueon hoods are 25 dollars each without the bulbs. The marineland is 40 dollars but only comes with one led strip with room to add two more.

I plan on having a slightly heavily planted tank so I'm not sure if the leds will do the trick. Any opinions on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Which one do you think would do the trick of keeping my plants in good health for the best price?

Ive been looking at lights since i bought the tank over a month ago and still haven't decided what kind i want. Im narrowing it down to these two so I'm getting closer but I'm terrible at making final decisions.

Hey guys,
So I'm setting up a 75g tank and I'm torn between two lights.

Aqueon has a 24" fluorescent hood. I could use two of those and put in t5 lights. But marineland offers a 48" led light with 3 interchangeable light strips.

The aqueon hoods are 25 dollars each without the bulbs. The marineland is 40 dollars but only comes with one led strip with room to add two more.

I plan on having a slightly heavily planted tank so I'm not sure if the leds will do the trick. Any opinions on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Which one do you think would do the trick of keeping my plants in good health for the best price?

Ive been looking at lights since i bought the tank over a month ago and still haven't decided what kind i want. Im narrowing it down to these two so I'm getting closer but I'm terrible at making final decisions.
For a planted tank I would dismiss the Aqueon hood. Marineland has an Aquatic Plant LED fixture in the 48" length for about $300 on Amazon. The PAR ratings are pretty good but, I am not so sure about their longetivity. if you want a planted tank and want to spend money only once, here are some good options: buildmyled.com, Finnex Ray 2, Finnex Fugeray planted+, Current LED+. Finnex is a quality low price fixture with good PAR. Current has a nice controller. Buildmyled is the cadillac of LEDs.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response. Ive looked over all of the options and i think the Finnex planted+ is perfect for what I'm looking for and right in my price range. You're right about buildmyled.com being the cadillac of lights but a bit pricey for my budget. Maybe when I'm able to put a bit more money into the tank ill make the switch to them. But for now i think the Finnex light is perfect for me. Thanks for the input it was extremely helpful.

Thanks for your response. Ive looked over all of the options and i think the Finnex planted+ is perfect for what I'm looking for and right in my price range. You're right about buildmyled.com being the cadillac of lights but a bit pricey for my budget. Maybe when I'm able to put a bit more money into the tank ill make the switch to them. But for now i think the Finnex light is perfect for me. Thanks for the input it was extremely helpful.

I think that you will like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom