Lighting for 90 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltlover

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We've been doing lots of research in the light dept. lately. We have a 90 gal tank (still empty) sitting in the living room. The light fixture is the last of the big decisions to make. It has a wood canopy and only the Sundial list theirs as a "canopy light fixture", but not much for wattage, 216w. I think tomorrow I'll call Marine Depot and get their opinion. Would love to have 6 bulbs, but would it be too warm?

Would have have been better if you would have created a new thread to get more answers to your question. Four 54w T5 HO bulbs on a 90g would get you softies and a good portion of LPS at best. I wouldn't expect much out of 6x54w T5 HO on a tank that deep either. Would be best if you went for halides or an 8x54w T5 HO fixture (Current USA makes a NEP that is 8x54w and has lunar LED's), with halides being the better option. Heat wouldn't be a problem as long as you have proper ventilation.

I would check out www.catalinaaquarium.com first.

They are out of California, but can pretty much build you any custom light fixture you desire... and its cheap.

I got my (2) 150 HQI setup from them with (4) T5 atinic and LED moon lights for about 500 bucks including shipping, bulbs, and balast. They are responsive to questions and will help you out.

Just my .02 I am very happy with them.

Back
Top Bottom