Lighting for a 75 gal freshwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelly247

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm in the market for light fixtures for my 75 gallon. Looking for daylight and moonlight functions. Any suggestions?

Sent from my LG-E971 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

On my 75, I got the aqueon modular LED 48". It comes with one white bank, and built in 6 blue LED moon. At the same time I picked up a red bank. I have been very pleased with it and is lasting very good. I do have one issue that is not their fault. It is a simple rocker switch for light or moon (nicely rubber coated though). If you use a timer you can see the predicament. The timer won't reach up and flick the switch to moon. and vice versa. LOL.
I have an Aquatic life Edge on a 55, program does it all including sunrise sunset. You can get quite involved with $$ without realizing it, as I did with the Aqueon. $119 for the light but then I added $38 for the red bank. For another $60 I could have had another Edge!!
On a side note, don't ever buy an Aqueon LED bubble wand. In another 55 I have straight LED white but wanted moon, so I grabbed one of these. Dual bubble/blue LED moon about a foot long. Great. Until lately THREE of the LEDs have laid to rest out of 8. I'm pissed!

I too have an aqueon mod and I regret getting it, the moonlight is pale on comparison to my finnex planted plus. It was also almost twice the money as the finnex.. Whether you're planting your tank it not you can't go wrong with a finnex for the money.. The moonlight setting is brilliant, it does need to be controlled manually..

The current satellite led+ is awesome make sure you get the appropriate size though. It has a remote that can control tons of scenarios like sunrise, sunset, moonlight, lightning and so much more. Definitely a good buy for the price. You can also make your own RGB colors

I too have an aqueon mod and I regret getting it, the moonlight is pale on comparison to my finnex planted plus. It was also almost twice the money as the finnex.. Whether you're planting your tank it not you can't go wrong with a finnex for the money.. The moonlight setting is brilliant, it does need to be controlled manually..
You are right, I failed to mention that. I'm not necessarily disappointed with the blue brightness, but it is WAY dimmer than my AL light.

I've been looking into some new finnex leds for my tank and from what most reviews have been saying, the planted plus is not bright enough for a 55+ gallon tank. However the ray 2 would be great! It is the equivalent of 3 t-5 ho lamps and should put you in a good light range. I would say the best bang for your buck would either be 2 finnex planted+ or 1 finnex ray 2. Also the planted+ comes with a moon light and true red nm leds, one of the firsts on the market besides BuilmyLed.

Back
Top Bottom