Lighting help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmac538

Aquarium Advice Newbie
After days of research on lighting I'm overwhelmed. I currently have a orbit 48" led and a marine 48" led and a two fixture t5, I have all three on the top and I'm not sure about programing the orbit. I just placed the t5 on for a week and black hair broke out Any help

Tank Lighting

After days of research on lighting I'm overwhelmed. I currently have a orbit 48" led and a marine 48" led and a two fixture t5, I have all three on the top and I'm not sure about programing the orbit. I just placed the t5 on for a week and black hair broke out Any help

Hello j...

Am guessing you have a 55 or a 75 gallon tank. The T5 lamps will provide intense light, but have a narrower area to focus the light. I would place the T5s in the middle of the LEDs. Algae grows in water with high levels of dissolved phosphates and nitrates. If you feed too much, then you make a perfect environment for algae. Some is good for the fishes' diet and as a water filter, too much isn't good for aquatic plants.

Large, frequent water changes and reducing the amount you feed will help. Your aquarium plants are more complex and use nutrients in the water much faster than algae. Float some stems of Anacharis (Common Water Weed) in the tank. It's a fast user of all forms of nitrogen and gives off a naturally mild toxin that most forms of algae don't tolerate.

B

Back
Top Bottom