Lighting help for newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vampraver

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok we bought a used 55 gal glass tank for freshwater fish and plants so I bought the new double 48in aquasun T5 HO 48in hood and T5 Flora Sun bulb and the other bulb is a T5 Ultra Sun bulb. I got a versa top for the split 55 tank because I felt the top that was on it was nasty and just a pain...so it has 2 24in glass versa tops. Well I got the hood last night and I couldnt wait to try it out.. It will not fit because the versa top (glass) is in the way of the clips.

My questions are...do these new hoods by Zoo Med only work with out a top on your tank and if thats true dont you run the risk of fish jumping out and water loss?

The hood does come with cord to hang it from the ceiling but I rent and we have high ceilings and I dont know how close to the versa top the hood has to be to be to work. I really dont want to go this route.

I was thinking of returning this hood and getting a more old school type that will sit on the glass but then I cant use my new light bulbs. I think I would need 2 24in hoods because of the split... not a long 48in hood because the split looks like plastic and I would think the light bulbs would be too hot on the split part. I could be wrong tho.

If I do need a old school style hood then how do I use flora sun bulb and ultra sun bulb and can these even fit in a normal hood? Im so confused please help :(

Take the mounts off the lights, and put small blocks of something non flamable under each end of the light to hold it off the glass an inch or so.

You are welcome!! I have( for lack of a better term) cobbled stuff to make it work for me. My fishroom is pretty much self inventions for different applications.:lol:

Ceramic would work. anything thats non flammable and the right shape, and size would probably work:)

Back
Top Bottom