lighting oddities

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robert nellson

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The lightbulbs on my saltwater tank are long over due for replacing but i just don't have the cash to buy new ones yesterday one of the bulbs completely burnt out then this morning i was gone when the lights turned on and was gone for about 1.5 hours while the lights were getting power when i got home my house stank like burnt plastic and my aquarium was still dark so i unplugged the ballast and disassembled it and discovered that the plug where the fixture plugs into the ballast was charred and the insulation on the wires was burnt off so i rewired it and tested it out checking for excess heat and both of the sockets work but when the socket without a bulb in it or with the burnt out bulb in it is turned on the other socket with the okay bulb will light up part way rightnow i am just thanking God i still had a house to come back to but i am also perplexed as to why the bulbs would be acting like thisthe lights are via aqua 55w ballast and fixture does anybody have one they would test out to see if it does the same thing? or has anybody had an experience like this?

Back
Top Bottom