Lighting Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RicStar

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all. :) I have 12 gallon aquapod, however it has a deep sand bed, so I believe it is closer to 10 or 11 gallons. I have had it up for just under a year and a half. I had fish for a while, but thanks to a Rio spazzing out, the fish are no more. I have several kinds of Zoanthids and one lone Ricordea growing in the tank. I currently have it lit with 96 watt Power Compacts and target feed the softies, but growth and coloration is far from impressive. They're not dying, but they're not blowing me away, either. I have found that I do need to keep the corals at the upper half of the aquarium in order to keep any real color to them. I'm looking at upgrading my lighting and looking for some advice from you lovely people. I'm looking metal halides possibly, but am very open to suggestions and past experiences. I do have a chiller on the tank, so I can deal with the increased heat. I'd love suggestions on types and wattage. I'm not planning on adding hard corals, but we all know that this hobby has a way of tempting you. Thanks again for all suggestions and past experiences. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place!

Welcome to AA! When was the last time you replaced the bulbs on that tank? Do you have the original PC hood on that tank, or did you add on a new fixture?

Bulbs are changed every 8 months, sooner if I start getting excessive algae growth. Right now I'm at about 6 months. It's an open air system, not the original hood, a new unit. :)

Is it just one bulb which would mean a good length of the fixture is hanging off the tank, or is it multiple lower wattage bulbs that add up to 96w?

Thanks JOM!

Last edited:
Thanks for relocating, and sorry for getting it wrong. :X It's one bulb, a bit of the fixture itself is hanging off the tank, however the bulb itself is slightly shorter than the width of the tank and I've set it up so the bulb sits centered over the tank.

Well, that could be a problem there. If part of the reflector is hanging off of part of the tank than you might be losing quite a bit of light. If it was my tank, I don't know that I would keep that fixture, moreover switch to either the original PC hood, or either an HQI hood designed for that tank, or I believe there are LED hoods for those now. But as it is not my tank, the choice is yours. Someone with more experience in the lighting category might be able to help you even more.

Post is pretty badly organized, so if you need any clarification, just ask.

I do not want a hood, first it will not fit with all the additional equipment I have added to the back, but I also prefer an open-top system.

Back
Top Bottom