lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sergie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The tank I bought is set up with this light fixture:

Coralife 48 Inch Aqualight Pro, 2x150W HQI MH Lamp + 2x96W PC + 3x1W Lunar LED

Will this be good enough to grow anything? I'm sure it's better than my T5s...

It's a 90 gallon, is there something else I should look at?

I would say almost anything. 150w MH bulbs are somewhat weak and a 90 is pretty tall. If you want to try SPS keep them near the top.

the only thing I woudl worry about would be penetration on a deep tank. With 250's it'd be easier to get the light to the bottom. I was advised to pass on a 150 setup because of the depth of my 125g. If you have t5's that are individually reflected i think it would be comaprable if not better. I;m by no means a MH expert but I have been researching the heck out of them lately. lol

I'm not sure the watts per gallon rule actually applies in saltwater anymore. Theres so many variables with lighting these days.

Well it came with the tank but I can sell them if need be. I know brand new they go for 833+, so if I sell them for 420 I can get the aquaticlife six bulb T5 with lunar LEDs. Would this be advised?

i would use an 8 lamp t5 ho unit over a 90. i wouldn't put much stock in a 150 watt halide fixture. softies and lps in a 90 IMO. 2 x 250 watts would be better. watts per gallon is a useless measurement.

it all depend what you want to house. the T5s will be 24 watts more then the MH but you will also get the penetration you need and will be able to house anythign you want.

and remember a T5 is able to penetrate a 30" deep tank, thats 400watt MH territory. a 24" tall is allmost the max i would go with a 250watt maybe a little taller but you'd have to worry about the placement of the corals

i would use an 8 lamp t5 ho unit over a 90. i wouldn't put much stock in a 150 watt halide fixture. softies and lps in a 90 IMO. 2 x 250 watts would be better. watts per gallon is a useless measurement.

8 lamps is pushing it, thats not needed. a reefer at my LFS has 8 lamps on his 90g and he has two lamps removed and his growth is still great

Last edited:
I don't want to overkill. But if it's going to be necessary I'd buck up and get the 8. I'm not the best with lighting...

the general rule of thumb i've always read is one T5 lamp per 3-5 inches of tank width. just get quality lamps like ATI, KZ or Gueisman

Leo, you seem to like to talk about lighting.
I looked at the ATI Sunpower fixture and it looks impressive but it doesn't come with timers. Would the 6 bulb 48" aquaticlife fixture be of dramatic lesser quality? I like the lighting combo they offer. I don't mind spending the extra couple hundred on the ATI Sunpower if it makes a world of a difference.

lol i'm an electrician :p lighting is what i know best

i was talkign abotu the lamps, but i'm sure with the different reflector systems you might squeeze out a little more PAR.

they say the ICEcap reflectors are the best and i've also read that the TEK fixtures have a great lense system also and cheaper. i personally went with a grow light i found on e bay for $100 which has been great

Last edited:
I would run what u have just invest in good new bulbs 300watts m/h at 24 inchs that's not bad you my have to play with the height

you do realise MH are designed to light up a 24x24 area so is not 300 watts lighting up 24" its 150 wats lighting a 24"x18" section that is 24" deep

Back
Top Bottom