Lighting Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bosk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Greetings,

I'm planning on buying an 8 gallon 60x20x25cm tank and want to keep a few varieties of live plants in there.

I have read that I should have rougly double the amount of watts in lighting as i have gallons, but with too much lighting i will need to add CO2 which I would rather avoid doing until I have more experience under my belt.

I was thinking of buying an aquarium lamp with 15 watts of power, would this be the ideal number or should i go lower or higher?

Thanks!

IME you can get away with 1.5 wpg without causing an algae problem. Any more wpg is likely to grow some great algae without CO2. I would suggest using a single flourescent strip light. :wink:

Thanks for the advice :)

it sounds like i'll be a shade over that so i might need to look at CO2. is setting up a CO2 system generally much trouble/expense?

thanks!

I think CO2 on a tank that small is pretty easy to set up if you don't mind changing the ingredients every couple weeks. See this article for your options:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=41

I have 1.75 wpg on my 75G tank with no CO2 and I do, in fact, grow some great algae. I'm slowly getting a handle on it as I learn more about nutrients and my 2 BN plec feast away at it. I think you can do a 2wpg without CO2, but from all I've read CO2 just makes things easier for a planted tank.

Of course, now that I think of it I also grow some really great algae in my 12G with 1wpg, especially now that I've moved the oto and snail out of it :)

Back
Top Bottom