Lighting question for SW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Latitude_change

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am in the process of making the switch from FW to SW. I currently have a 40g tank and I know that I am going to have to purchase various new items speicifially for SW.

My question at this time involves just the lighting. The current light fixture is a Perfecto fluorescent double bulb strip. Can I use that fixture and simply replace the bulbs with something like the Coralife bulbs? I don't mind spending the money for a new fixture if it is necessary, but if I can use the old fixture and just replae the bulbs it would certainly save a few bucks. Thanks!

It all depends on what you intend to keep in the tank. For FO or FOWLR you should be fine but anything more than that I'd say an upgrade is in order.

Do some research as to what you want to keep in the tank and plan your lighting accordingly.

hopefully some of the more experienced on AA will jump in and give more details as I'm just starting out with SW as well.

Good luck with your new setup!

You are goin gto want to upgrade your lights shortly after setting up the tank. Depending on what you to keep will decide wheter or not a retro-fit kit for you strip will work, but I would think not. Your first decision is what don you want to keep in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom