Lighting suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Etunes

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am looking for a good light system for a heavily planted tank. I don't know if i want a heavily lighted tank so i will take suggestions for all kinds of lighting. So i want suggestions. please help. :bulb:

depending on the size of the tank and how you have it set up....

I have been trying to look for different sized shop lights.

the amount of plants doesnt matter its what plants you want and how much light they require plus tank size.

The Watts per gallon thing :)

First sip of coffee got me thinking. If you have a good wattage a foot or two above the tank wouldn't it have less light going underwater? And if using a "grow light" would the wave length get scattered before it hits the water?

Havent decided what kinds of plansts i want, but i think i am going to just go with up to medium lighted plants this time, maybe in the future make it a high light planted tank. I am going to try to do a Co2 tank on it too. The tank is a 75g.

I use 2 double shoplights, so 4x32W T8's (6700K Phillips). I did gut them & mounted the parts in the canopy at 3" or so above the water. It is giving me good solid med light. I have room to mount 2-4 more T8's if I want. <Mounting it 6-12" above the water prob won't be too bad, you lose a little bit from scatter, but I wouldn't worry unless you are mounting the light on the ceiling or something.>

The shop light route would be the cheapest, but at the rate the T5-HO's prices are coming down, I think a 2x54W T5HO would be a nice one for that tank as well.

Back
Top Bottom