Lighting suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apotocki

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a twin tube fixture for my 70gallon tall tank. I'm not sure that I'm happy with the way the lighting looks. I have the 'standard' tubes that came with the fixture. They are All-Glass but really don't tell me anything else about the color/intensity. To me, they are kinda plain and the tank has just a bit of a bluish look to it.
I'm thinking that I may like a more 'natural' look (kinda a 'normal' light with no blue tint if that makes sense). My tank has driftwood, a rock cave, and many silk (read that - artificial) plants. I would say it's kinda a bit on the South American side. The fish are: Angels, Rasbora's, Rummies, Bleeding Hearts, Cory's, Clown Loaches, and my great looking Gold Nugget Pleco.
Any suggestions for replacement lighting? Also, could you please help me better understand what the different 'K' ratings mean?

THANKS

One thing you can do is go to a LFS (not petco or petsmart) and look at some of their display cases and find one you like the color of and ask them what kind of bulb that is

I have a light that has a more yellow-ish tint to it, and I would prefer one that is more blue than yellow

I know someone can offer better advice, but that is what I plan to do when my bulb burns out

apotocki said:
I'm thinking that I may like a more 'natural' look (kinda a 'normal' light with no blue tint if that makes sense).
I think you'd probably be happy with something in the 5000K range. Much above that it starts to get harsh and blueish, much below and it starts getting yellowish.

Back
Top Bottom