Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ben Jarrett

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I have a 600l reef tabk with a set of Aqua One MG1200 light, 2 x 150W 10,000 Kelvin Metal Halide lamps and 4 x 24W blue PL lamps and I was wondering how long should the white and blue lights stay on for and how far from the top of the water they should be?:confused::D

The "white" lights/halides should be on for 6-9 hours a day. You can use the "blue lights to turn on an hour before the halides and turn them off an hour after the halides to create a dusk/dawn feature. Plus it is pretty cool to have two different colors for the tank at different times. I keep my halides on for only 6-hours a day and my actinics for 8-hours and this seems to work fine for me.
The halides should generally be 8"-12" off the surface of the water. A lot of this depends on your reflector. Just don't put them too close because they get very hot.

Thanks very much, I just have a little algae problem. I will see how I go.

If you have an algae problem then definitely use the lowest photo period time. Also check your RODI water and think about running a phospate reactor.

Hey Thanks I am running a phospate reactor in the sump and all levels are good. I checked my light times they are 13 hours for the halides and 10 hours for the blue lights and the light is about 13 inchs from the water.

I will change the light times and see how I go
Thanks again

Hey Thanks I am running a phospate reactor in the sump and all levels are good. I checked my light times they are 13 hours for the halides and 10 hours for the blue lights and the light is about 13 inchs from the water.

I will change the light times and see how I go
Thanks again

Yeah, cut the halide time in half. The coral doesn't need 13-hours and the algae love it.

Sorry the blue are on for 13 hours and the whites for 10 hours.

I have set them to 8 hours for the white and 10 hours for the blue

Sorry

At 10hrs a day, your Halides may be due for a change. They start to lose intensity after 10 months or so. That may be the reason for your algae bloom.
TC

"24W blue PL lamps"? Are these compact fl lamps? I don't know about these. I know that the t-5 HO"s can last 12-16 months.
TC

Back
Top Bottom