lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spankym13

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, is there a difference in effects of fish and aquarium apperance. With aquarium bulbs, and regular bulbs from walmart.

The light doesn't affect the fish, but depending on they type and color of the bulbs you use, the appearance will change.

Thanks i see alot of tanks online that look amazing and mine kinda dull. I have just a standard florescent ( spelling) bulb in mine. I have a fish only tank. No plants

The type of tube will make a difference in brightness and fish appearance. Typically, tubes in the 5000K to 6500k range look bright as they have a fairly high lumen rating, CRI (Color Rendition Index) is usually high, and they are available at places like Home Depot, cheaply.

55 G Lighting

Good morning spanky...

If you keep low light plants or no plants, then lighting for your 55 G is very simple. One bulb, 6500 K, either a 32 watt, T8 or a 40 watt, T12. These are under $10.00 each at most of the chain hardware stores.

To a small extent, lighting will affect tropical fishes' breeding behavior. But, if you have your tank lights on timers set for 12 hours on and 12 off, keeping the lighting consistent, you'll have no trouble.

B

Tank Lighting

Good morning spanky...

The "daylight", 6500 K is recommended for growing aquatic plants because it best mimics natural daylight, 5500 K. This is the lighting I use and my low light plants grow very well. As long as you don't get into the more demanding plants, this light will be plenty.

The next step I would recommend is fertilizing. I prefer liquids, but there are other ways to feed your plants. Let me know if you have any questions or ask around on the forum. There are any number of expert "water keepers" here.

B

Back
Top Bottom