Lights for 55gal reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nijoe1221

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone. In a couple months I'll be upgrading my 29 gallon to a 55 gallon and I intend to go full reef over time. I need help picking out a good light that will support most corals. I currently have a coralife 2 bulb T5 HO and had to give my bta away because I learned on here the lighting wasn't enough. I don't want to make that same mistake again. Keep in mind, I'm a college student so I don't have $500 to blow on the best thing out there lol. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

I'm not sure on dimensions of a 55 but if it is 48" long then two of these will grow anything you want. One per 24". And they are pretty cheap right now. I'm running 2 over my 90. And many others on here are running these now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360931597565

Only downside, if any, is you will have to hang from ceiling, a shelf overhanging tank, or some other clever mounting setup.

I'm not sure on dimensions of a 55 but if it is 48" long then two of these will grow anything you want. One per 24". And they are pretty cheap right now. I'm running 2 over my 90. And many others on here are running these now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360931597565

Only downside, if any, is you will have to hang from ceiling, a shelf overhanging tank, or some other clever mounting setup.

Dimensions are 48 x 12 x 21. So these would be perfect. You need two, and you can bend some conduit so you don't have to hang them.

I have two of them on a reef and fish set up. And. Love them. Powerful.
Keep white LEDs off most of time. I've been using blue 4 hrs. Both 4 hrs. And blue the last two hrs. Love them.
Hang. 18 inch off tank.

I have two of them on a reef and fish set up. And. Love them. Powerful.
Keep white LEDs off most of time. I've been using blue 4 hrs. Both 4 hrs. And blue the last two hrs. Love them.
Hang. 18 inch off tank.

Why do you have them so high up? Did you not purchase a Dimmable unit?

They are. I think they were burning corals. I raised them. And now everything seem happy.

Those look extremely bright. Could I just hang one in the middle? My rock aquascape wouldn't be from end to end. Probably at least 4 inches off each end and is keep most of the high light corals in the middle.

Those look extremely bright. Could I just hang one in the middle? My rock aquascape wouldn't be from end to end. Probably at least 4 inches off each end and is keep most of the high light corals in the middle.

Yes they are bright but you can dim them. You will probably eventually fill every nook and cranny including the sand bed with corals, clams, etc... So you will need to cover the width of the tank. One unit only covers a 24"x24" area. Best to get two.

Back
Top Bottom