Looking for a good skimmer for 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah I managed to get it foaming with foam that turns into a liquid. I'm just waiting to see how much it pulls this time!

Thanks for all of your help! :)

OK, I must've hit that sweet spot. I got a quarter of a cup of black slightly chunky stuff in the past two days.

Good for you, now just don't mess with it! LOL I had it set on mine perfectly but thought I could tweak it more. Wrong. took me days of playing with it to get it back to where it was. hehe

Can you guys recommend good hang on back skimmers?
Due to space constraints I'm going to go with a hang on back and put it on the back of my sump.
Also of concern is since my water level in the sump is about 5" lower than the rim, it'll need a good pump to suck it up that far.

I've been looking through just about every hob skimmer I can find :D

The AquaMaxx HOB-1 skimmers look nice but I don't know about a "Sicce Syncra 1.5" pump.

The eshoppes hob looks nice
The reef octopus's do too, but I read they're not as good with a hang on back model

I may just get the bh-100 (i have a 55) and yours looks like it's working pretty good. I would be pushing it with the size on the 1000 anyways, it would be a tight fit.

Is yours noisy? Any problems or quirks I should know about?

Is that just during break in?
Looks like there's a tube for water output, so something could be rigged up to trap the micro bubbles

Im going to read a bunch of reviews online lol

My biggest concern is I have 1/16th of an inch short of 4" on the side of my sump where this would go. The product listing states it as "approx" 3 1/8 inches. :-S I'm a little bit scared there on how much their approximation is off.

Shopping around for the best price, I noticed that the same model comes with two different pumps, depending where you buy it from.

Some have a Resun King 225F
Others have an OTP 1000

Which is the better pump?

I like Tunze or Aqua C Remora. The Aqua C is very easy to set up and nothing really to adjust.

Okay so I just got it and I assume it's breaking in.

How do I prime this thing, or do I just wait? The bubbles aren't constant flowing yet, they will pulse on and off (when it does this, the return compartment water level fluctuates).

Did you experience this Ibrahim? I'm worried my water level may be too low for it.

scottayy said:
Okay so I just got it and I assume it's breaking in.

How do I prime this thing, or do I just wait? The bubbles aren't constant flowing yet, they will pulse on and off (when it does this, the return compartment water level fluctuates).

Did you experience this Ibrahim? I'm worried my water level may be too low for it.

I just dropped the cup to the lowest level added prime because I was cycling then within a few hours I saw white bubbles flowing to the top of my cup so I adjusted it then within a day the water darkened and in a week it was skimming great amounts of skimmate. Any liquid additive should make a skimmer produce alot of white large bubbles in the cup. That should kick start the skimmer the fastest.

Back
Top Bottom