Looking for a reef LED light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did when you started talking about it the first time... That's why I said I'd like to kick you in the tail - you're costing me $$$ :)

And after further research on the tank, I decided to cancel my order. I'm looking to purchase a nice 55g bowfront at my LFS here. Only downside is it's glass, not acrylic.

That being said, I'm most likely have to by the controller unit this month and wait to next month to buy a slave unit so that I will have sufficient lights for a tank of that size.

I prefer glass over acrylic because it's more forgiving (doesn't scratch as easy). Good luck and Keep us updated.

The Weipro light looks to be made of extremely low wattage LED lights. The LED fixtures usually have 3W leds. Any lower is not enough to grow corals.

The Weipro light looks to be made of extremely low wattage LED lights. The LED fixtures usually have 3W leds. Any lower is not enough to grow corals.

Actually, in my reading I came across an article that said it didn't matter whether it was 1W or 3W. The only difference being that it required more 1W LEDs to get the same coverage as the 3W. The article basically said something to the effect of each area should receive light from 7-8 1W LEDs vs. a single 3W LED.

Whether or not this is true, I don't know for sure. I think the only way we would find out for sure is to get someone to take some PAR readings - even though I must admit I still don't know what PAR actually is - unless it's photosynthesizable(is that even a word?) light.

The other reason I started this thread is because there are so many people who insist that certain LEDs are unable to sustain corals, while others say it's not a problem. Their statements are based off someone else telling them it will or won't work, but as so many have pointed out to me, this technology is still in it's "infancy".

That being said, I opened this thread in hopes that someone had experience with some of these LEDs - especially the more economically priced ones. While I must admit, I do like the idea of being able to control the cycles from a program, I also must contend with the fact that I am on somewhat of a budget - as I'm sure others are too. And I'm quite positive that there are others out there that wish they could grow corals in their tank using a less expensive alternative light source that uses less energy and doesn't generate heat, which must then be removed.

In response to this, I pose a suggestion:

If you are in the market, visit your LFS - ask if they have any LED tanks - if not encourage them to start one. Lets face it - a LFS has the ability moreso that most to sustain an LED only test tank and report the results.

Phenom, no offense to you, you just helped shove the soapbox under me :). I'll step down now.:D

My lighting cost just became a lot more expensive... After deciding against the 46 gallon acrylic, I got the ok, rather "you better buy that one" for a marineland 120g pre-drilled corner overflow glass tank with custom cabinet and canopy.... Total cost around $1100. Most of the cost is the cabinet and canopy with a custom stain to match the rest of our furniture. Tank was only around $300.

LFS is also throwing in a free sump with the purchase - not sure how good it will be, but I'll keep you posted.

Looks like at least three of the Pacific Sun LED lights now for the 120 g - hopefully that can sustain a reef at some point in the near future.

I get my LEDs on monday. I have been waiting for months. Technology keeps changing (and sometimes failing). I am going to try it out. I will have 30 edison leds with cree dies. Meanwell drivers. It will be a DIY but I will post build.

Good luck on the led's. From what I have heard from other public aquariums that have tried them, they soon switched back to mh because although corals would survive, they would not thrive. Personally I think the technology is far too new to make such an expensive purchase and far from a staple as of yet.

Ordered my 120W Black Python BT EX Master Unit today.

I'll have to wait another month to pick up the slave unit for the other half of my tank.

Might be waiting a while - I don't even have the tank/stand home yet ;)

That's the beauty of the planning/purchasing stage - LOTS of room for change...

But I'll manage what I can so you guys can check it out - after everything I read up on it, I think it's gonna be sweet.

Dont suppose anyone can comment on automotive LED strip lights and whether they are good for aquarium plants? I admit all the light spectrum and technical jargon is beyond me. I was thinking of putting a bunch of the whites together to boost my existing hood lights and blue to use as moonlights.

As far as using them as moonlights, that would work. I don't know the power of those auto leds and if they have a K value that plants can use. As far as mood lights it's what ever pleases your eyes.

I also ordered the PacSun unit (1 master - 2 slaves) for my 72" 125g.
There are many different LEDs in the market. You need the right combination and number to get coral growth. If you look at the ReefCentral post you can see PAR number comparisons of LED to other types of lighting.

The PacSun 120w unit I'm getting is supposed to equal 400w MH lighting at full power.

Back
Top Bottom