Looking for advice on canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Broke EF

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, I am looking to possibly change to a canister filter and had some questions. Currently my set up is

Aqueon 46 Gallon Bow Front
Aqueon glass lid, and standard light
Aqueon QuietFlow 55/75 filter
Two Aqueon Pro 200 watt heaters
Rena 400 air pump with two 10" bubble wands on the sides

This is a freshwater tank, that is NOT planted (no immediate plans for planting either). My current stock is

8 x Lemon Tetra
8 x Diamond Tetra
7 x Panda Cory (actually 6 right now, I had one die that will be replaced)

Fish to be added
1 x Starlight Pleco (L183) This is already ordered, just waiting for it to get big enough to ship
2 x German Blue Rams
1 x Angel

To bring you up to speed on everything, I am currently only running the Aqueon 55/75 filter, but did buy a Aqueon 50. Unfortunately when I went to install it, it did not clear the 3D background and I dont want to trim it for a HOB filter. The 55/75 that is on it is getting loud (it has sucked in sand) which is why I was trying to add a second filter, or change to a canister type. As I said I also have two heaters (second one needs to be installed) because as its getting colder outside (we turn the heat down while at work) the single heater is having bit of a hard time keeping up. I like having a back up either way.

So like I said, the current filter has me worried enough that I want to just change it out BEFORE it fails. It is not very old, but I was dumb and ran it when the sand was still settling. I will probably just hold onto it as a back up since it can keep my tank nice and clean by itself really. I will just replace the impeller or motor (however its sold).

So I have been looking at canisters, and wanted to hear everyone's thoughts. I am looking mostly at the Fluval 406, which seems to be nice, but pretty new. Looking at other threads I have seen people with similar sized tanks being recommended the Fluval 306, but I am stocked pretty heavy. Is there any advantage to running multiple canisters, like two 206's? How quiet are canister filters, mainly the 406? Anybody have any things to look out for, tips, tricks, etc?

Any and all advice is welcome and appreciated.

Thank you,
Sean

I had HOB's since a started and was always intimidated by canisters. I broke down and got the fx5 for my 75 and I'll never go back to HOB's.

Love my fluval! :)

Back
Top Bottom