Looking for Advice on Canister Fllters or filters in general

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jasno999

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Looking for Advice on Canister Fllters or filters in general

I have a 30 gal tank with a bio-wheel on it. But it is just not doign the job. The water is ok but I get a build up of cloudyness all the time. I am nto sure if it is a alge bloom or just cloud water.

I need somehting to help in filtration. I was lookign at the Magnum canister filters and they look good cause they have regular and fine filtrations. THey have the feature where you can get rid of really fine particals so I am guessing it would clear the water up well.

I alos havea 10 gall and the roomate has a 55-gal that we could use it on if need ever be. But for now I want it for my 30 gal. I do not mind it it is a bit oversized.

What I need to knwo is what filter as best to get? Is a canister filter the way to go for me? Which ones are best and which are the eaisest to find parts, filter media, and all that good stuff for? I need advice.

I have two new Fluval 404s that I am wrestling with -- no matter what I do they suck air into the system and then blow out micro-bubbles ----I will not buy another Fluval for this reason.
good luck - jd

Must have just got bad ones or something because mine has worked flawless for two years now.

Fluvals are great filters.

When I got interested in a larger tank, I started looking into canisters. At first, I was going to get an Eheim filter because of their reputation. You don't read much negative stuff about them, but they are pricey. After doing more research, I started looking at the filstars. They are reasonbaly priced, good gph for the money, auto priming, and lift out media baskets for easy clean up. I have had 2 of them now for over a year, and have never regretted buying them. Sometimes I have to touch them to make sure they are running! My vote is for the filstar line!

I also have a new fluval that totally sucks, I'm getting rid of it on wednesday so long as UPS get's my new Mag5 here on time. I would not buy a fluval, nothing but problems in my direct experience..

I used to have a Magnum 350, and it was good, tad bit noisy, but it worked very well, I believe that they make a smaller hang on model too, that would be my vote

HTH, Joshua...

I added a review of my Fluval 304 in the review section. I love the canister but it only laster a little over a year. Too expensive for that short of a life span. I bought an Eheim replacement. Can't say I'm as happy as with the Fluval, but we'll see how long it lasts.

fluval

I set up my 55 gallon with a fluval 304. It is really quiet and keeps the water really clean. Its my first and I will be sooo dissappointed if it breaks. I mean I know people who have had them for years and that is why I got one.

I think I figured out a big part of my problem. IT is not so much from air in the top of the filter. There is air stuck at the top of my filter but I think that is normal in the Elhim Ecco type filters. Mine has it and others say they have it too.

What I had a issue with was my supply and return lines to the tank got fully coated in a layer of alge. It was strange cause it was the same throughout and covered the entire inside of the lines.

Instead of removing them for cleaning, which I will eventually do, I simply left the filter running and squeezed or pinched the line in different places. What it did was create a fast water flow at that point and also broke up and off the alge connected to the tubes. I kept doign it and it would spit out this very strange white/tan golored alge. Nasty but the the HOF took care of the particles and what not. Fish did not like the taste anyway. Btu I noticed after I did as much as I could the cloudy/ air bubbly looking water has gotten better. I think if I do a full cleaning of the tubbing that I will be good to go.

Back
Top Bottom