Looking for Recommendations on a new Water Heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uv777bk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've had a Visi-Therm Deluxe Heater (50 watt) in a 12 gallon (MarineLand) tank for all of about 10 months.

Yesterday afternoon, I found that my 1 Otocinclus had died overnight. I scooped the poor fellah out, but had to leave the house for a couple of hours before I could look into the problem.

On my return I lifted the hood and was greated with a big updraft of heat. The thermostat had died on the heater and it was now permanently on. I put my had in the water and, at a guess, I'd say that it must have been around 110F in there! How my Gouramis survived, I'll never know :(

For now, I've put another, identical heater in there from another tank that really doesn't need it; I'm hoping that my lone Betta fish won't mind this ommision.

Anyhow, I'm looking for some advice on a new 50 watt heater. I was considering an Ebo Jager but have read mixed reviews.

Recommendations and advice will be greatly appreciated :)

It's unusual for a Visi Therm to fail that way. IME, they are very good heaters. The Ebo Jager is very good too though. Some Ebos, according to what I have read, are not totally submersible. If I were going to buy one, I think I'd look for the submersible type. I have also found the Won Pro Heats to be excellent heaters, but I'm thinking they don't have one small enough for your application.

Cool, my wholesaler doesn't stock the smaller Won heaters so I don't have them on my site...smallest I have in the Pro Heat is a 100w. The Won would be my pick then.

Back
Top Bottom