Looking to get a tropical fish tank, need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reddwarf4ever

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello
I had a 5’x2’x18” tank many years ago, the biggest issue was water changing, because of the volume, never had much success in growing plants, started off with UG filtration, then switched to enemies filters, only trouble with these filters, was getting a good seal, so many times I found in the morning they had been leaking. Ended up sitting them in a washing up bowl.

Think it would be lovely to get a new tropical tank, but many things have moved on since I last kept tropical, lighting etc. in my previous tank, the light tubes simply laid on the cover glass with reflectors, always got in the way, when needing access for maintenance.

Think a 4’ tank would be suitable, and would need a cabinet. Need ideas on filtration, lighting etc. the filters must be whisper quiet. I am not keen on LED of any sort, but maybe in a fish tank I wouldn’t notice the horrible intense glare they give, energy consumption would need to be considered, as fuel prices keep going up and up.

Any thoughts please ?

Hello, thanks, that’s interesting, also looked at aqadvisor, never had stuff like this when I was setting up my first aquarium. I entered the Fluval Roma 240 tank, but there appear to be no Fluval filters, first time I have used this site, am I doing something wrong ? I worry about LED tank lighting, LED is taking over the world, sorry to say I have a hatred for them, especially car headlights, LED emits a completely different sort of light intense and harsh, might have to go to a shop and have a look

Also I had bad experiences with eheim external filters, but was many years ago, were always leaking and unreliable, was sent various bits free from eheim, but never resolved it, is it a concern nowadays, especially Fluval ? I see a you tube video talking about the seals leaking and best keep it in a bucket, don’t think I’d want that worry Again !!!

The fluval filters are in there as hagen i think. They are definitely in aqadvisor, just under a different name. I dont think they have the current models but 305, 306, 307 are all the same, 405, 406, 407 the same etc.

The aquasky light sits so close to the water and under the hood behind the rim. You wont even notice it. The RGB emitters enable you to adjust the colour to your taste. LEDs are great for fish tanks.

Im guessing you are UK (red dwarf). Pets at home usually have a roma tank on display, but it wont be running.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/116562-albums14859.html

Also I had bad experiences with eheim external filters, but was many years ago, were always leaking and unreliable, was sent various bits free from eheim, but never resolved it, is it a concern nowadays, especially Fluval ? I see a you tube video talking about the seals leaking and best keep it in a bucket, don’t think I’d want that worry Again !!!

Eheim filters have a very good reputation although ive never had one.

The fluval cannister included with the roma is something i have experience with. If you maintain it properly it should give you years of trouble free filtration. The only issue ive ever had with it was either through my own cackhandedness (i broke the aquastop valve) or through a lack of maintenance. When i didnt do my annual replacement of moving parts for 2 years it got a bit of a rattle. Replaced the impellar, impeller shaft, cover and o ring, silent running for another year or 2. Replacement parts are readily available when needed (like when i broke the aquastop valve).

Thanks everyone I need to see one running really, not sure if that’s possible. Do t suppose internal filters will be up to the task of a 240 ? Plus they might look ugly on show.is UG filtration considered a big No No nowadays ?
So worried about leaking filters, especially having near floods with my eheim before, when I put them back in service, there was trapped air, used to make lots of gurgling noises and leaked, as the air was displaced, sometimes they stopped leaking, other times they leaked in the night……

You can run internal filters. You might need 2 of them in a 200 litre + tank. It will obviously negate any leaking concern you have, but its real estate gone in your tank.

UG filters used to work and they still work. I wouldnt buy a roma and then use it to put an UG filter in though. The one i suggested has a drilled bottom for the canister to connect to, so you would need to close that off. Personally i think canisters are better than UG filtration, but go with what you are comfortable with. You probably need to find a good aquarium store rather than a chain to get UG filtration.

I think its unlikely you will find a store running a set up Roma tank. Im sat in front of one now, you can see my photos or a video the wife made.

https://youtu.be/9bW4B160_ME

Nice video, are your plants growing with the original supplied LED lights ?, also do you have any filter leakage ? From research it seems when closing them, it’s best to let the clips pull the case together, rather than pushing it together, then pushing the clips in place. Thanks

Back when i bought the set up, the light fitting it came with was a basic white LED on a switch. No controls, no adjustments, just on/off. Still good enough to grow low demand plants though. I did upgrade it to an aquasky which gives some built in control through a phone app and meant i could get rid of the socket timer.

The roma set up now comes with an aquasky fitting which is great. Still only really good for low demand plants, but i do see better growth and the lighting is a little more intense. If you want to try more complex plants with injected CO2 the aquasky probably wont cut it and fluvals Plant light fitting is where you should go.

I dont have any leakage from my filter. I do keep on top of maintenance though. Give all the media a rinse down every month, wipe off and clean the moving parts, and replace the impeller, impeller shaft, cover and o ring about every 12 months. That makes a difference. When i didnt do this, after 2 years there was a noticable rattle.

im a newbee too

Hello
I had a 5’x2’x18” tank many years ago, the biggest issue was water changing, because of the volume, never had much success in growing plants, started off with UG filtration, then switched to enemies filters, only trouble with these filters, was getting a good seal, so many times I found in the morning they had been leaking. Ended up sitting them in a washing up bowl.

Think it would be lovely to get a new tropical tank, but many things have moved on since I last kept tropical, lighting etc. in my previous tank, the light tubes simply laid on the cover glass with reflectors, always got in the way, when needing access for maintenance.

Think a 4’ tank would be suitable, and would need a cabinet. Need ideas on filtration, lighting etc. the filters must be whisper quiet. I am not keen on LED of any sort, but maybe in a fish tank I wouldn’t notice the horrible intense glare they give, energy consumption would need to be considered, as fuel prices keep going up and up.

Any thoughts please ?

Hi i have just started and your right things have changed i watched loads of utube to get information on tanks filters lights substrates it is all very quiet now and led dont look that bright when over the tank plus many have settings so you can set it how you like it anyway good luck to you :)

Back
Top Bottom