Loud filter - Rena Filstar XP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gimmethatfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

I have a brand new Rena Filstar XP3 I set up today. It's making a horrendous loud whoosh/water running sound. The sound is definitely not the filter itself - meaning not a rattle or a hum or an impeller sound. I put my head next to it in the cabinet, and the filter motor is nice and quiet. It is hooked up properly and about 36 inches below the water line. So, 2 questions:

1 - Is it supposed to take you absolutely forEVER to prime the thing? I am not kidding when I say I was pouring water in that tube for 15 minutes straight. I did have everything connected properly, and the quick release valve was up.
2 - Any fixes for the whooshy water sound? I did unplug it, reprime it, and plug it back in with no difference. Maybe trapped water that will hopefully work itself out?

Could be trapped air, when restarting after maintenance I'll usually tip the canister from side to side to help work out any air that may be trapped, after that a little time usually works out any remaining air

Back
Top Bottom