Mag Drive pumps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheTodd

Aquarium Advice Addict
The pump for the skimmer that I got with my 240g this weekend is not working (it was fine at this guy's house last weekend though). It is a Rio 14 HF, but I am thinking of replacing with a Mag Drive 7. Are the Mag Drives quiet? Any other suggestions for something comparable?

Any feedback is appreciated!

I've had no problems with my mag pumps. The mag 7 has lower flow than that rio. Might want to look into what the recommended flow if your skimmer is. May need to get a mag 9.5

They are quiet enough. I had a few fail me just out of warranty though. I like Quiet one's better. I am using 2 danner mag drives on my system now and they are working well.

I am going to have to try and figure out what skimmer this is. Looks older, not transparent (kinda white), probably 2' tall...it had the Rio on it and he said it skimmed great, I've just never been a Rio fan. I will look into Quiet Ones too.

I'm still trying to figure out how to set up the sump and refugium...I've got a 35g acrylic tank, a 45g acrylic tank and this 240g came with two CPR Aquatics two chamber wet/dry filters (1000). He had one running as it should and then he had that connected to the other, which just held the skimmer and then the return back to the tank. I've got four "containers" and an 8'x2'x2' tank.

I'm thinking about having one of the CPR's as the mechanical filter (thinking of converting to a sock instead of how it is now) maybe add some live rock...then connect that to the second CPR and use that just for the skimmer...then add either the 35 or 45g (with some customization to add chambers) as a refugium...then return pump back out to the tank. That gives me 30g + 35-45g under the tank. Would that work okay???

I have two in my sump and they are quiet. I have a mag 12 and a 9.5 in the sump. I am pleased with them.

I have a mag 9 in my 90 gallon and its quiet. I bought a mag 7 for a 55 gallon that I had and it was loud.

Mag 7 loud
Mag 9 Quiet

Stay away from the Mag 7.

They are quiet enough. I had a few fail me just out of warranty though. I like Quiet one's better. I am using 2 danner mag drives on my system now and they are working well.

The regular or Pro series for Quiet Ones?

I'm looking into the Quiet Ones... I'm okay with good, quiet and not-so-pricey. :)

Hey Mr X (or anyone else) what are your thoughts on my "under tank" situation? I've never created a sump/fuge, so this is new stuff for me. I figure I've basically got four containers and if I can create something with those, then great. If not, I might just sell those and start with something new. Its a glass 240 (8x2x2) with overflows in each corner (also has three drilled holes in the bottom that were plugged). I'm all ears on this one.

The overflows have drains? If so, i wouldn't bother with the plugged up holes. What are the 4 containers?

Both overflows drain down below. The three plugged holes are in the middle of the tank. Apparently a prior owner had this a reef and had those purely for re circulation.

Containers are two CPR 1000 acrylic wet/dry (16 gallons (20x12x15 each) - 2 chambers)...then 35g and 45g acrylic tanks (old setups that have just been out in the garage collecting dust). I'm okay drilling them to turn into sumps/fuges.

The other guy was just using one of the CPRs as a wet/dry and it was connected to the second which held the skimmer and return pump. No refugium. I figure we can do better than that. :)

Well, if you wanted to do a closed loop, you could do so. This would eliminate the need for as many power heads in the tank. All you would see is locline returns for the most part...and the strainers over the intakes.
On an old system I had a closed loop with an Oceans Motions 4 way and a Reeflo Barracuda. It was pretty excellent.

can you fit both the 35 and 45 under the stand? If so, you could connect them with maybe some 2" pvc and bulkheads, and make that your sump with refugium if you liked.
You could split one or both of them to accommodate whatever you wanted.

I believe both will fit down there no problem. The cabinet/stand floor had some water damage, so I am going to rip that out and put new wood in. I will see once that is all cleaned up and I get those tanks down...

Back
Top Bottom