Mag Drive rusty screws

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheTodd

Aquarium Advice Addict
I purchased a Mag Drive 9.5 from someone on eBay. Normally would not do this, but it was a good price. It arrived today and one of the screws is broken (no head) and all the screws are rusty. Is this typical of Mag Drive pumps? I plan to send it back to the seller, as this rust was not noted on the auction, but if this is typical for Mag Drives, I might go the Quiet One route. I'm buying new this time around too.

I purchased a Mag Drive 9.5 from someone on eBay. Normally would not do this, but it was a good price. It arrived today and one of the screws is broken (no head) and all the screws are rusty. Is this typical of Mag Drive pumps? I plan to send it back to the seller, as this rust was not noted on the auction, but if this is typical for Mag Drives, I might go the Quiet One route. I'm buying new this time around too.

Im not sure on your question but I do know quiet one is really good. Ive owned 2 and used 1 on my 110g and it was pushing around 1500gph

Yeah, not good. I've got a few Mag drives used, and all the screws were still nice & shiny. Between the broken head & rust, that leads me to believe that someone was a little too rough on the screws getting to the impeller, and not only broke one, but scratched the chrome coating off of the others, exposing the metal underneath. I'd think if this were a typical problem, we'd all know about it around here.........

Yeah, I just wanted to check. Needless to say, I was not happy when I opened the box. I am hoping this is not going to be a hassle with the Seller.

This was going to power my skimmer. It had a Rio 14hf but that went out (actually it hums and I can kinda get it to spin sometimes) but I've never been a fan of Rio, so wanted to try Danner out. New, I think the Quiet One 4000 is less, so I may just go that route.

Yeah, I just wanted to check. Needless to say, I was not happy when I opened the box. I am hoping this is not going to be a hassle with the Seller.

This was going to power my skimmer. It had a Rio 14hf but that went out (actually it hums and I can kinda get it to spin sometimes) but I've never been a fan of Rio, so wanted to try Danner out. New, I think the Quiet One 4000 is less, so I may just go that route.

Just replace the mag drive screws with stainless screws for a hardware store and it will be fine. I've run my mag 24, 12 and 9 24/7 for the past 3 years on the original impeller and motor.

Back
Top Bottom