MagDrive 24 too loud

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jimothy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I went with the MagDrive 24 for my 180 FW tank with sump because it has 1" openings and the brand is regarded as quiet and energy efficient.

I should have paid more attention to the specs because it is too loud, I dampened it against the acrylic sump with some filer foam pad but the *hum* of the motor is still too much.

If there's more I can do to silence it I'm open to suggestion but otherwise...

What should I go with that is virtually silent?
I would like it to be
- submerged (don't want to redo plumbing)
- have 1" openings
- very very quiet
- highly powered, doesn't need to match the 2400 gph of the MagDrive 24 but... frankly I am not sure of the minimum gph I require. I have 1.5" pipe ending in a spraybar with two 1' jets.

img_910165_0_0b86f4a8f24068388d14a098b149b92b.jpg
img_910165_1_a5f631ce90f912785a99499a04d44dc1.jpg

Thanks,
Jim

I'm not a sump guy, but what if you isolated the pump by not hard plumbing the outlet? If you made a jump tube of vinyl tubing to go between the pump outlet and the PVC risers, then you wouldn't get any vibration noise going through the PVC pipe. I'm guessing those pipes are transmitting a lot of that hum from the pump. Plus it would make that pump easier to get to for maintenance.

BTW I don't feel comfortable with hoses and clamps, and not shown is the there is a threaded coupling that makes the pump easy to remove.
If I really need to, I can try vinyl hose later, but for now I know the pump is too powerful and too noisy...

Back
Top Bottom