Magnet Glass Cleaner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pleco

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all,

I was thinking to buy one of those magnetic glass cleaners the other day but was freaked out that it would scratch up my glass. Does anyone here have experience with these? Do they work? Any brand better than the others? Most importantly does it scratch the glass?

Thanks
-Pleco

sorry i just think there stuipd, i mean who cant just stick their hand in during a pwc, and i cant imagine them doing that good of a job. but i dont think they'll scratch the glass, its sturdier than you think

I like my MagFloat, moreso in my sw tank because my fish think I'm gonna kill them when my hand goes in the tank. They do work very well as long as you get a large enough one for your tank. It will not scratch so long as the padding isn't worn down or a rock/sand/etc. doesn't get in between the glass and magnet.

my magfloat etched a z in an acrylic tank I had.. Now I NEVER clean my glass. I have olive nerite snails and they keep the glass spotless. I hated the magfloat, especially with eco complete which is high iron so it gets picked up by the magnet.

get the snails, they really work

Magfloats are for glass only, unless you get one specifically made for acrylic. If you try using one on acrylic, it will scratch. If you use them correctly, they are perfectly safe. In my experience anyways. :)

They work on most algae's. Green spot algae is difficult to remove and most of the time must be done manually. I use a Mag Float in the 55 gal tank to keep the calcium build up at bay. It doesn't scratch and keeps your hands out of the water.

If you pick up gravel with it, like I have done, it will scratch the glas. Other than that it will remove even the most stubborn spot algae and is priceless for scraping before a PWC so you can suck out all the algae that has been scraped off.

Back
Top Bottom