Magnum 350 filter questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jabo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello i am new here and trying to find answers to questions about a Magnum 350 filter. First off i bought it used and just got new o rings installed so it would not leak. It came with a cartridge looks paper type and a carbon container with blue filter around it. I bought new carbon and the blue filter sleeves for it and hooked it up and seems to work just fine.
My questions are how long to use before changing and when should i use the fibre looking one instead of carbon one? I have read of hooking them up to another hang on back filter which i don't have and do not know which one i would need - model etc.
I have a 55gal tank with 8 chiclids for almost a year now it came with topfin 6o hang on back filter, but the magnum seems to make the water much clearer. I run 24/7 and is that a good idea?

Thank you for any information you can give me regarding these matters.
Jabo

the fibre one is a micron cartridge will make water crystal clear but i think they plug up fast ..there good for mechanical filteration but i dont think any bio filteration. unless you add one of them bio wheels. id keep both going change when you notice it slowing down.But i dont own one im sure lots do here can tell you more. Both filters that is

When I had the Magnum, I run the media basket with the blue foam sleeve 24/7, and I only need to clean the sleeve maybe once every 2 weeks. <I never change out the carbon. For me, I use the carbon as a surface for the bacteria to grow on - a cheap alternative to ceramic bio-media.>

I only run the Micron filter (the paper one) to clear up cloudiness in the water. The Micron filter plugs up in just a few hours, but it does clear up water very well. <In practice, the foam sleeve keeps the water clear enough for me so I rarely have to resort to the Micron filter "water polishing". It comes in handy if you have green water or fine particulates when you first add some of the plant substrates.>

Back
Top Bottom