Maintaining a wet-dry filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bcopley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I did all of my research before setting up my 150 gallon mbuna tank...however, there is one thing that I forgot to research and that is how to clean/maintain a wet/dry filter. I have pfs for substrate with large river rocks for hiding spots. My stock is currently at 16 including a bristlenose pleco. I made my wet-dry with Tupperware containers. I've noticed my nitrates are starting to rise faster. I replace my filter floss (quilt batting# about once a week. Last night I swished and squeezed the pot scrubbies #bio balls) out in a bucket of aquarium water and did a water change expecting my nitrates to go down quite a bit. They used to run in the 10-20 range....now they are between 40-80. Should I replace some of the bio balls periodically? My tank has been up and running since May with no problems. I'm trying to be proactive and prevent problems. I would love advice from someone who successfully maintains a wet dry filter. Thanks in advance!
:thanks:

Attachments

• IMG_8421.jpg
    IMG_8421.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 52
Back
Top Bottom