Making a refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dpaulmann

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! I have a 54 corner reef system that I want to make a refugium for. Right now all I have on the tank is a Bakpac skimmer and a Fluvall cannister filter. I'd like to use spare parts I already have to do this. I have a mag 9.5 pump, the bakpak skimmer, 2 36" T5 lights, Heater. I can put the fuge behind the wall of the tank so size or height doesn't matter. I thought a 30 gallon breeder would be good because it's 36" long and would work for the lights as well as a nice amount of surface water for oxygen exchange. Do you think the Mag 9.5 could power a Eshopps 300 overflow box? Does anyone have a good plan for something like this? I'm also not sure what to put inside of it once it's done, I've heard of a lot of different things. Thanks in advance!

Max water flow on the eshopps overflow is 300 gph, the mag 9.5 is 950 an hour. You might be a TAD over on that and will have to restrict the heck out of it. A smaller pump would probably be in order. Just account for the head aas well. :)

I have live rock, cheato, sand and some caulepera (sp?) in my refugium. I also added a packet of reef pods as well when I set it up. You can keep more exotic macro algae in there but I'm still new to this so I stuck with the easy ones.

i do have mangroves in my 29g bicube fuge , it was in my big sump but they were too short. lol

Back
Top Bottom