Marineland Double bright LED! worth the $ ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spence22

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi im new to this site. I am really looking into buying the Marineland Double Bright LED lighting for my 29 gallon freshwater Goldfish aquarium. My local Petland store has them but they want $99.99, which is $10 to $20 cheaper compared to Petsmart and Petco. I just wanted to get some oppinons, is it worth the money?

I'm interested if anyone here has one as well. I have been trying to decide between the double bright and reef version for a heavily planted freshwater 55 gallon.

Reviews on sites like foster & smith seem good.

Get the reef ready ones so u have the blue lights and they are brighter I love mine !!! eBay has good deals on them got mine for $120 on there if u buy from petland u have to pay tax for a few dollars more u can have the reef ready ones

what type of gold fish are in the tank?

I have a black Moor and a calico telescope in my 29 and the stock bulb alone irritates their eyes .. the brightness causes their eyes to hurt and makes them uncomfortable... and honestly up to 2 fancies goldfish should be kept in a 29 ..

the lights in my opinion, although cool are really not worth it for goldfish... it might be night for your viewing pleasure but will cause discomfort and probably harm to a goldfishs eyes... so I say no.

why do you want them? looks? plants?

BambooBen said:
I'm interested if anyone here has one as well. I have been trying to decide between the double bright and reef version for a heavily planted freshwater 55 gallon.

Reviews on sites like foster & smith seem good.

I would suggest the reef version

I have it (the double bright, not the reef version). It's bright enough to grow low light plants. It has the blue moonlights. It's way cheaper online than in stores. I'm pretty happy with it. From what others have said, I don't recommend the reef version for gold fish as its way brighter.

IMO, off the shelf leds are either too expensive or too weak. You can make your own simply enough, and you'll have a better light and the satisfaction of building it yourself.

what type of gold fish are in the tank?

I have a black Moor and a calico telescope in my 29 and the stock bulb alone irritates their eyes .. the brightness causes their eyes to hurt and makes them uncomfortable... and honestly up to 2 fancies goldfish should be kept in a 29 ..

the lights in my opinion, although cool are really not worth it for goldfish... it might be night for your viewing pleasure but will cause discomfort and probably harm to a goldfishs eyes... so I say no.

why do you want them? looks? plants?

I have one Comet goldfish in my 29 gallon tank. Just him. In my situation the only place that i could put my aquarium was on the second story of my house, and i never even took in to consideration that heat rises and my aquarium water will be warm. I want the LEDs for the heat reduction , but also i dont think my goldfish like's the light thats on there now. He's pretty chill all day and when i turn the light off at night thats when he seems to be more active. I figured with the LEDs having more of a shimmer effect then maybe my glodie with be more comfortable. Im also not going to lie, I think the LEDs look bad *** lol. I almost think its worth the money but just dont want to use a glass canopy that i will have to get with it. its just going to stop evaporation which will make the tank warmer then now.

yeah I use 1/2 glass under my normal strip light.

what is the temp in the tank? I keep mine at 74° F .. there are more active in warmer water. and typically any type of goldfish does better in a little warmer water... mine thrive at 74 but my sisters Commons do best at 68

yeah I use 1/2 glass under my normal strip light.

what is the temp in the tank? I keep mine at 74° F .. there are more active in warmer water. and typically any type of goldfish does better in a little warmer water... mine thrive at 74 but my sisters Commons do best at 68

The temp is 72.5, which he is enjoying alot better. My tank was around 76 but i cut a few of the strips of the back of my aquarium lid to allow more evaportion and gas exchange and that seemed to help. His old small tank was downstairs in my house and it stayed around 70 all year long and he seemed to do alot better at that temp.

Well i went ahead and just bought it today... ill set it up here in a little bit. Ill post my opinion about it afterwards for anybody that thinking about buying it.

Its been acouple weeks since ive originaly post this thread. I wanted to give my feedback on the Marineland Double bright LED. IMO its a fantastic light, Its really bright and low heat output. I actually had a good amount of algae growing on the glass after about 3 days of having the LED installed. I would suggest getting this light to anybody that is interested and willing to spend the money. I really like it alot, it makes the aquaium look awesome and in my situation its defenitally helping with the water temperature, Its lowered the water temp by about 2 degrees. My goldfish absolutely LOVES the blue moonlight. I swear he seems so happy with the blue light on for about the first hour then he sleeps. If you do buy this light I would suggest turning it off for about an half hour to an hour every other day just to give the lighting system time to cool down. After acouple days of it running the top of the lighting system was rather warm.

If you have any questions about the marineland double bright LED dont hesitate to ask me. I will be more than happy to answer any questions or thoughts that you have concerning it.

I'm really interested in this light, but still trying to decide between the double bright and reef light. It would be for a freshwater tank with lots of plants.

I really wish marineland would have just spent like $10 more for a better switching system so you could adjust lighting level and run a timer for the night light.

Back
Top Bottom