Marineland Eclipse Explorer II Aquarium Kit - Explorer II Black - (2 Gallon)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michaelg210

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am interested in this product for my daughter's betta, but have read the incandescent bulbs put out too much heat for the tank, heating the water too much.

Does anyone know if I can swap with Compact Florescent Lights in the same sockets without a problem and will they fit?

Do they use the same size and do they make CFL with the same sized base that would fit.... assuming someone out there has this kit.

thanks

I would just get a 5 or 10 gallon glass tank. Anything below 5 gallons you are going to have significant temperature swings with almost any lights.

Step up to the 5g. Your fish will appreciate it. I bought my wife a Marineland Eclipse 5g hexagon tank for Christmas a few years ago because she wanted a betta. It's honestly the smallest tank I'd consider putting a betta in. They get bigger and look better if they're in a bigger tank. I actually swapped my wife a 20H for her 5g, which is now a shrimp tank.

That said, the Marineland 5g comes with a CFL bulb. It's a daylight spectrum 15W U-shaped CFL.

yeah, thanks I have been actually checking it out... am for sure on the 3 gallon which comes with a 5 watt tubular florescent designed for plant growth as well...

thanks
mjg

I would either go with the 5g or 12g kit. I have the 3g and originally planned on using it for a small QT and found it to be small for small freshwater community fish when I had freshy tanks. I now just use it to hatch baby brine shrimp every now and then, which is about all it's good for IMO, either that or a small low-light planted tank with a few shrimp or snails. HTH.

I would either go with the 5g or 12g kit. I have the 3g and originally planned on using it for a small QT and found it to be small for small freshwater community fish when I had freshy tanks. I now just use it to hatch baby brine shrimp every now and then, which is about all it's good for IMO, either that or a small low-light planted tank with a few shrimp or snails. HTH.
Thank you for your comments. I plan to use it to house only a single betta. He was in a 10 gallon tank, the plan was long term to add a few compatible fish. We took him out of the tank, added three pladies, and eventually put him back in. I watched continuously for an hour to an hour and a half and then frequently throughout the night, and everything was fine.

Both sides were minding thier own business, and neither appeared interested in the other.

The following morning was a different scene. Checked on the tank, and the betta was pursuing two of the pladies like the red barron in a dogfight with allied planes. I immediately netted him and put him back in his bowl.

Two of the pladies were missing pieces of their tail fins. Guess he must have worn them down during the night.

Now I need a place for the betta, but we are on a tight budget and even the marineland eclipse III is way more than she (wife) would wish for me to spend, but, I want to buy the III, so my daughter can have the betta in her room, and the betta a pretty suitable environment. (Though I aslo worry about a 10.2 + to one gallon flow ratio... I think the gph on the filter is 35gph).

I could actually get a 5 gallon cheaper but it would be much larger on her dresser.

I already have some extra gravel and a plant from the 10G I can put in there.

Do you think this tank will work for a single betta and a crypt or java fern?

Thanks in advance for your advice

Last edited:
There is honestly very little flow coming from the filter, and I suspect the filter on the 5g isn't much different, so you should be fine and your betta won't get tossed around at all. If you can get the 5g, go for it. Not sure on the crypt (was never a planted enthusiast, just kept simple stuff), but java ferns should be fine.

Java fern should be fine, but I don't know about the crypt, maybe an anubias would work and the 3g should be much better than the bowl (and those cups that people buy them in.. ick...)

Also note that (I'm sure you already know this, but to be thorough) a 3g will require more maintenance than a 10 gallon (less water, surface area, etc). Buy the biggest tank you can fit, but temperature swings might be an issue if there isn't a heater.

Depending on your price range, there are probably a few hex tanks that are larger with a similar footprint that would work.

Here's one, and I think it's a similar price to the eclipse 2 (if you buy online)

This is just an example, and I've never bought from this place

ANTOnline.com - Tetra PFES05HX Marineland Eclipse Seamless Integrated Aquarium System, 5 Gallons, Hex

Marineland Hex 5

Java fern should be fine, but I don't know about the crypt, maybe an anubias would work and the 3g should be much better than the bowl (and those cups that people buy them in.. ick...)

Also note that (I'm sure you already know this, but to be thorough) a 3g will require more maintenance than a 10 gallon (less water, surface area, etc). Buy the biggest tank you can fit, but temperature swings might be an issue if there isn't a heater.

Depending on your price range, there are probably a few hex tanks that are larger with a similar footprint that would work.

Here's one, and I think it's a similar price to the eclipse 2 (if you buy online)

This is just an example, and I've never bought from this place

ANTOnline.com - Tetra PFES05HX Marineland Eclipse Seamless Integrated Aquarium System, 5 Gallons, Hex

Nice!.... great price too, i am kind of stuck on marineland, i like the filtration system / bio wheel. I have read several reviews the filtration system breaks down after like 6 months, and that they scratch very easily... seems a great betta tank.

I am seriously considering it.....

thanks

My 5g hex has been running for a few years now with no problems. I did tear up the old filter cartridge to make my own out of it, but that's the only thing I do different from stock. There isn't much water movement, so it's perfect for bettas or shrimp.

what do you think of this one. 29bucks

My 5g hex has been running for a few years now with no problems. I did tear up the old filter cartridge to make my own out of it, but that's the only thing I do different from stock. There isn't much water movement, so it's perfect for bettas or shrimp.

AQUA Tech power filter 5-15
I have searched high and low for a low cost, 5-gallon aquarium kit that includes a cfl lighting, that includes a filter with decent bio area.

I have looked closely at the eclipse systems and various others, and thought I had settled on a marineland manufactured kit sold under Wal-Mart's brand as the Aqua Culture Home Aquarium Starter Kit 5, which comes with the Aqua Tech Power Filter 5 - 15, which does not appear to be adjustable.

Only thing is this is for a betta, and it seems the flow rate is 100 gph, which i think is much too strong, most fiters, depending on brand 100 gph was too strong even in a 10 G tank.

It seemed the max for him was about 7 - 8x per gallon per hour turnover, i.e. 35-40 gph in a 5G tank or 70 - 80 gph in a ten gallon tank.

Also, have not been able to find many reviews, but seems there are a significant portion of the few i could find said it does not work properly, clean all that well, or the impeller has to be cleaned often.

Does anyone have this filter in a 5G with a betta?

Is there anything I can do to slow down the flow rate, (besides cutting the impeller, which I understand has to be done evenly on all blades), i.e. can I stuff some poly-fill in there or something?

Back
Top Bottom