Marineland Penguin Biowheel filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Berserkr

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently bought a penguin 350 for my 75 gal. Wondered what the general opinion is of these filters, or of any other size for that matter. I've heard mixed opinions, some of which make me feel a bit foolish... :oops: :)

I would have went with a canister for a 75 gal tank. They are more expensive but more efficient on such a large tank. I've used a Penguin 350 Biowheel on my 55 gal before upgrading to the canister. It wasn't bad but IMO wasn't great. The wheels stopped turning and no matter how many times I cleaned them and the wheel housing, they still wouldn't turn. If you have the funds to upgrade to a canister, I would do it.

I did some shopping around, which I should have done prior to purchasing the filter, and found that I paid a few times more than I should have for that filter! Quite unhappy. But I called them this morning and they said they'd refund my money for the filter and heater, which I assume was also grossly overpriced. Their fish are decently priced though. So I was thinking an AC filter, since my 15 gal does so well with that one. Any particular canister filters you'd recommend? What's the average price range?

*edit* As expected, I even got ripped off with the heater...good and hard... :evil: :x

I'd look into the eheim 2236 or the Filstar XP3.
Personally I have and love my XP3.

The XP3 is about $100, the eheim slightly higher.

I buy all my dry goods at drsfosterandsmith.com, they have awesome prices. About the only time I buy dry goods/equipment at my LFS is in the case of emergencies.
If you add 1.5-2Lbs of rock per gallon, that would sufice for your biofiltration.
Throw on a skimmer and you don't even need the canister.

melosu58 said:
Are we talking about FW or SW ?
LOL! Good point, I thought I had read something abour LR, but looking back, I think that may have been another post! Sorry about that.

On my 75gal Cichlid, I run two Emperor 400's. I like them, they are quiet and do the job, my water parameters are fine, so no issues there.

I think Penquin and Emperor are made by Marineland, but I don't know the difference in the two. Just my experience with biowheels and Marineland.

The only thing I can see is that biowheels haven't been around long enough to prove themselves like AC filters have, so that's where the loyalties lay. I'm looking at getting the AC 110. It seems to move as much water and do just as well as the filters that cost at least double. Is there more than just personal preference when it comes to choosing HOB or Canister filters? Or is there really that significant of a difference? And is it really necessary to pay as much for my filter alone as I did for the tank itself(got a pretty good deal)?

Oh, it took quite a few trips with that bowl! My guess is that it holds roughly a gallon and a half, give or take!

I'm not a fan of Biowheels. They create extra noise and I do not see an advantage to them.

The reason why I recommend canisters instead of hobs for larger tanks is that they are more efficient. They are easy to maintain (at least my Cascade is, it's simple to take apart and put back together), are hidden from view, and give more circulation. HOBs just drop water down. Canisters can be set to push current.

So an HOB wouldn't provide enough surface agitation? Or would agitation and current be ok if it was combined with airstones, etc?

HOBs provide surface agitation, but they don't circulate the water how I like in larger tanks. With a canister you can position the output to flow one way and provide a current.

Back
Top Bottom